SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Newbie Binocular Question

Hello, 

I home school my 6 yo and we have started looking at the Solar System in his science lesson.

We have two pairs of Binoculars between us (mine are on a tripod) 20x - 180x 100 and the second pair that my son uses are 16 x 50 and also can be mounted on the tripod.

We live close to a rail siding which has lights along the fence shining towards the property, but the garden is shielded from direct light from them.

What can we expect to view with each pair?

In our study (which is in view of siding lights) we have set our computers to a red screen during hours of darkness (probably useless with siding lights in view?) and I have found Stellarium Web (computer based mapping) and Clear Outside (for weather), I also use Sky View app on my phone.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Cundy66

Edited by Cundy66

Hi, Cundy & welcome to SGL.

That first pair has a zoom capability? I would use the bigger aperture of those, but at their lowest magnification. The light won't help, but as long as you are not in direct light, you should be able to get some good views. A good book to help you is Turn Left at Orion - this will give you a good selection of objects and help you track them down. I reckon the star fields through Cygnus would be magnificent through those binos.

Enjoy the journey.

On 08/06/2020 at 04:34, Demonperformer said:

Hi, Cundy & welcome to SGL.

That first pair has a zoom capability? I would use the bigger aperture of those, but at their lowest magnification. The light won't help, but as long as you are not in direct light, you should be able to get some good views. A good book to help you is Turn Left at Orion - this will give you a good selection of objects and help you track them down. I reckon the star fields through Cygnus would be magnificent through those binos.

Enjoy the journey.

Yes they both are able to zoom. So The bigger pair I should use on 20x and not the 180x?

I will look that book up, thank you.

On 08/06/2020 at 07:24, Steve Clay said:

Its free and lists things to see. Also a subscription to sky at night magazine has a monthly binocular sky tour.

Steve

Thank you Steve for the information, I will look this up.

Hi @Cundy66 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

You will definitely be able to see four 'stars'/dots, (these are the 'Galilean moons, i.e. Io, Europa, Ganymede & Callisto); when viewing Jupiter; (and possibly some banding); and Saturn; (it will be slight oval shape due to the rings); when they become visible at a more sociable hour later this year, (at the time of writing, they both rise about 23:40BST +/- ten minutes of each other.

The constellation of Cygnus is a beautiful constellation to view during the summer months, with the Milky Way passing through it. Though does cause a bit of neck ache, as it is overhead. So I prefer to lay down on a patch of dry grass/lawn and view it. It can also be fun watching satellites as they cross the night sky too.

If you have not got one of these...

41bA2kp1wlL._AC_US327_QL65_.jpg.8e1578b9a32ea3c8a343d719d11e66f4.jpg

...they make 'panning' binoculars so much easier.
note: the base is threaded for 3/8" - threaded adaptors for 1/4"-3/8" are also available.
I have attached a user guide/manual/instructions.

post-4682-0-36306500-1445866821_thumb.jpg.757bd596989253acbfdbeb380f979e56.jpg  post-4682-0-32308400-1445866920_thumb.jpg.c0b1c23e89dd3188337b1a9403d37110.jpg

Alternatively you could use a ball-head attached to a camera tripod that has a 3/8" stud/mounting point.

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG  type1.thumb.JPG.e54d0aeffe11e28e0c119faec8dc8361.JPG  303093583_type6.thumb.JPG.5efef805744304848a6211d1e715628e.JPGTG-manual.pdf

Edited by Philip R
attached user guide/manual/instructions for joystick/ball head/trigger grip