Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Horsehead, Pelican and soot

MartinB

This was supposed to be a widefield summer project taking me into September.  As it was, it was the captured across five consecutive  nights albeit with an imaging window of 4 hours owing to the time of year.  Unprecedented!  It's such a well trodden path for imagers that the whole area seems to have got a bit muddy!

ZWO ASI 1600 pro with a Canon 200mm lens at F2.8 with baader 7nm NB filters.

All subs 5 mins Ha x 78, OIII 46, SII 80

Captured with SGP, calibrated and combined with Maxim and processed in PI and PS.

I tell myself that I like softer colours with some Ha green allowing the dust to be presented nicely, but then I can't resist getting out the colour lump hammer and giving it some.  So there are two versions here, one for early mornings and the other for late evening head banging.  Take your pick.

NA_Neb_Pelican_HST.jpg

NA_Neb_Pelican_HST_pumped.jpg

• Like 24

Both lovely images Martin - it seems churlish to even mention it but is that a stacking artefact on the left-hand side?

I must admit that I too prefer the first version... though I am sure that many will prefer the second so it's good that you posted both!

Cheers, Ian

• Like 1

17 hours ago, x6gas said:

Both lovely images Martin - it seems churlish to even mention it but is that a stacking artefact on the left-hand side?

I must admit that I too prefer the first version... though I am sure that many will prefer the second so it's good that you posted both!

Cheers, Ian

Agghh! You are right Ian.  I end up with lots of versions at various stages of completion and posted the wrong pair of images!  Otherwise I think they are as intended.

1 hour ago, MartinB said:

Agghh! You are right Ian.  I end up with lots of versions at various stages of completion and posted the wrong pair of images!  Otherwise I think they are as intended.

Amazing isn't it... I do it all the time.  I realised when I posted an image of M94 this weekend that I hadn't included the sharpened layer when I flattened the image...

22 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Very nice Martin, i'm permanently glued to the fence so my preference would be a mix of the two. The more subtle processing of the first with the tones of the second. Both great images though.

Thanks Richard, good suggestion.  So, using the full panoply of processing tools ie layer and merge 50% here is a hybrid version.

NA_Neb_Pelican_HST_mix.jpg

• Like 1