Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Relocation of Pulsar Dome.

That mat looks like a definite cat magnet. :)

An observatory is never [ever] finished.
It's more of an open-ended, construction project.
Like painting the Forth Bridge. :wink2:

It's all looking very smart after your skilled restoration. :thumbsup:

Regarding the illusion of shed security though:
I'd replace all your security and hinge fixings [screws] with coach bolts. [Dome head, square shank bolts.]
I can see a few dotted about but removal of the ordinary screws would lower your security.

Much better padlock hasps, with hidden screw heads, are available from ABUS amongst others.
As are sliding bolts with much better security. 
I'd also use perforated steel, roofing plates inside all your door fixings.

The small drilled butterfly plates, through which your padlocks fit, are extremely vulnerable!
These are usually just riveted to the skinny back plate.
So they can be twisted and pulled free of the back plate.
Two minutes with a pair of Mole grips could spoil your whole year!

Just making it look difficult to break in might mean the scum will go elsewhere.
Coach bolts don't shout security protecting costly, hidden valuables.
They just are what they are. Impervious to external attack by normal means.
i.e. Rechargeable drills and/or crowbars.

150mm-Galvanised-Padlock-Bolt-HEAVY-DUTY-Gate-Shed.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

That mat looks like a definite cat magnet. :)

An observatory is never [ever] finished.
It's more of an open-ended, construction project.
Like painting the Forth Bridge. :wink2:

It's all looking very smart after your skilled restoration. :thumbsup:

Regarding the illusion of shed security though:
I'd replace all your security and hinge fixings [screws] with coach bolts. [Dome head, square shank bolts.]
I can see a few dotted about but removal of the ordinary screws would lower your security.

Much better padlock hasps, with hidden screw heads, are available from ABUS amongst others.
As are sliding bolts with much better security. 
I'd also use perforated steel, roofing plates inside all your door fixings.

The small drilled butterfly plates, through which your padlocks fit, are extremely vulnerable!
These are usually just riveted to the skinny back plate.
So they can be twisted and pulled free of the back plate.
Two minutes with a pair of Mole grips could spoil your whole year!

Just making it look difficult to break in might mean the scum will go elsewhere.
Coach bolts don't shout security protecting costly, hidden valuables.
They just are what they are. Impervious to external attack by normal means.
i.e. Rechargeable drills and/or crowbars.

150mm-Galvanised-Padlock-Bolt-HEAVY-DUTY-Gate-Shed.jpg

Thanks, was thinking of getting a security bar to go across the middle of the door as well. 

Definitely a cat magnet, lol.

PSX_20200913_125348.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been over two months and damper colder weather and no condensation build up on the dome walls or telescope. Looks like the under floor ventilation is working a treat. Not bothered buying a dehumidifier so far. With the solid floor at the domes original location I had condensation all over the inside of the dome and sometimes on the mount. Had to run a dehumidifier 24/7. 

14 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Well, it's been over two months and damper colder weather and no condensation build up on the dome walls or telescope. Looks like the under floor ventilation is working a treat. Not bothered buying a dehumidifier so far. With the solid floor at the domes original location I had condensation all over the inside of the dome and sometimes on the mount. Had to run a dehumidifier 24/7. 

I gave up the idea of a Pulsar dome after reading about the condensation problem. I also passed up a secondhand 2.7m GRP dome at pocket money price.

Hopefully this absence of condensation will continue for you.  Keep an eye out for white mould on the painted, inside surfaces.

My plywood dome is deliberately well ventilated at the base ring, bi-parting shutters and is wide open below floor level. I even spaced the floorboards to let it breathe.
The insides of the matt black water based paint on plywood dome and walls have all been covered in white mould since the first cool weather from first being built.
It hasn't got any worse and is more cosmetic than a structural problem. The worry is that mould can cause allergies and severe bronchial problems.

Edited by Rusted
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 19/10/2020 at 13:44, Rusted said:

I gave up the idea of a Pulsar dome after reading about the condensation problem. I also passed up a secondhand 2.7m GRP dome at pocket money price.

Hopefully this absence of condensation will continue for you.  Keep an eye out for white mould on the painted, inside surfaces.

My plywood dome is deliberately well ventilated at the base ring, bi-parting shutters and is wide open below floor level. I even spaced the floorboards to let it breathe.
The insides of the matt black water based paint on plywood dome and walls have all been covered in white mould since the first cool weather from first being built.
It hasn't got any worse and is more cosmetic than a structural problem. The worry is that mould can cause allergies and severe bronchial problems.

Thanks Rusted. Hopefully it'll continue. In the dome (not been in a few days) today to put on a new dovetail bar. No condensation on walls or anything else. All's dry and snug. Wind and rain was blowing around and cold last night. May well it continue.

1 hour ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Thanks Rusted. Hopefully it'll continue. In the dome (not been in a few days) today to put on a new dovetail bar. No condensation on walls or anything else. All's dry and snug. Wind and rain was blowing around and cold last night. May well it continue.

Good to hear Nigella.

My Pulsar dome has been in over 16 years with no condensation probs. And I live in damp Cheshire ! 🙂

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Good to hear Nigella.

My Pulsar dome has been in over 16 years with no condensation probs. And I live in damp Cheshire ! 🙂

I'll see your damp Cheshire and raise you Wales and Cumbria.  :wink2:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Na, Devon, where it rains eight days out of seven, lol.

My son goes kayaking with school every Tuesday, sometimes in the sea, but often on the rivers in Devon.  I think the Exe and the Dart are particular favourites.  He wasn't able to go this week because the rivers were too low due to lack of rain!

I think this morning may have corrected the situation however :D

James

• Haha 1