SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Relocation of Pulsar Dome.

1 minute ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi rusted, I'm decking the edge's so should be fine but I want the cat's to be able to go under and evict anything, lol.

Cats are great!  :thumbsup:

We shall expect a YT video! 4K of course.

You could even go <cough> viral! ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

I have to ask: what's the elevated timber structure standing on rows of brick?

🤔lly

Hi Olly, two things, I wanted more hight because the garden is below road level and two to bring ventilation under the dome. These dome sweat, or at least mine did in it's previous location so I'm hoping this will will help with that. I'm planning on venting underneath with a couple of grills (not the bar-b-que type, lol). I'm also going to put a higher floor inside too of the same hight. So in theory the dome/telescope/me will be 45cm higher.

Edited by Nigella Bryant
comment added

3 hours ago, Nigella Bryant said:

Hi Olly, two things, I wanted more hight because the garden is below road level and two to bring ventilation under the dome. These dome sweat, or at least mine did in it's previous location so I'm hoping this will will help with that. I'm planning on venting underneath with a couple of grills (not the bar-b-que type, lol). I'm also going to put a higher floor inside too of the same hight. So in theory the dome/telescope/me will be 45cm higher.

Thanks, but I meant the building in the background! Now you say you're below road level I can guess that it might be a garage or road-level storage unit?  I was just curious about it's elevated position.

QM.JPG.6988287579d91659440a6a4282d10d97.JPG

Olly

11 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Thanks, but I meant the building in the background! Now you say you're below road level I can guess that it might be a garage or road-level storage unit?  I was just curious about it's elevated position.

QM.JPG.6988287579d91659440a6a4282d10d97.JPG

Olly

It's my solar RoR, lol.

A little research shows that condensation in observatories is commonplace.
Almost regardless of how well they are sealed.

I left the floor wide open between the joists on my second story dome.
Spaced the larch floorboards apart to let the floor breathe.

There is ventilation all around the base ring and on either side of the bi-parting shutters.
A ventilation slot is above the double doors out to the veranda.
The ply clad, 14' high, pyramidal pier is wide open on the western side.

Still the plywood dome and walls would get damp inside with condensation in winter.
I lined the dome with black agricultural fleece spaced off the ply cladding.
It is probably black [or white] with mould out of sight.

Perhaps the real answer is closed cell insulation on the inside of the dome?
Black, closed cell, camping mattresses are available in about 10mm thickness.
Shopping about would make the purchase of enough material almost trivial.
Putting a dehumidifier in my dome would be like trying to dry the entire Earth's atmosphere!

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

A little research shows that condensation in observatories is commonplace.
Almost regardless of how well they are sealed.

I left the floor wide open between the joists on my second story dome.
Spaced the larch floorboards apart to let the floor breathe.

There is ventilation all around the base ring and on either side of the bi-parting shutters.
A ventilation slot is above the double doors out to the veranda.
The ply clad, 14' high, pyramidal pier is wide open on the western side.

Still the plywood dome and walls would get damp inside with condensation in winter.
I lined the dome with black agricultural fleece spaced off the ply cladding.
It is probably black [or white] with mould out of sight.

Perhaps the real answer is closed cell insulation on the inside of the dome?
Black, closed cell, camping mattresses are available in about 10mm thickness.
Shopping about would make the purchase of enough material almost trivial.
Putting a dehumidifier in my dome would be like trying to dry the entire Earth's atmosphere!

Hiya Rusted, yeah the condensation was quite a bit, I had a dehumidifier in there and it made a little bit of difference but not completely eradicating the condensation. I'm hoping the new method plus dehumidifier will make a difference, we shall see.

BTW, been in the obsy today and completely dry so everything must of sealed ok, so that's a relief, lol.

Edited by Nigella Bryant
comment added
  • Like 1

Mu Pulsar observatory sits sandwiched  between a 6" slab of concrete and a damp proof membrane. The dome base is sealed both inside and outside to the membrane/concrete. I have not lined the inside, but have a dehumidifier coupled to a humidistat set at 60%. I have never had condensation, only partial during imaging sessions. The dehumidifier is never overworked and I live aside a 7 acre lake.

Lake.jpg.93a52471589c12ba77bf74b785d43c22.jpg

Steve

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

Mu Pulsar observatory sits sandwiched  between a 6" slab of concrete and a damp proof membrane. The dome base is sealed both inside and outside to the membrane/concrete. I have not lined the inside, but have a dehumidifier coupled to a humidistat set at 60%. I have never had condensation, only partial during imaging sessions. The dehumidifier is never overworked and I live aside a 7 acre lake.

Lake.jpg.93a52471589c12ba77bf74b785d43c22.jpg

Steve

Good to know Steve, thanks.

Quite an elegant solution Nigella.

Would it be worth considering an additional piece just below the pivot point, that you could hook over the bolt nearest the dome as a latch to stop oikish or wind induced shaking moving the hook?

52 minutes ago, Swoop1 said:

Quite an elegant solution Nigella.

Would it be worth considering an additional piece just below the pivot point, that you could hook over the bolt nearest the dome as a latch to stop oikish or wind induced shaking moving the hook?

Thanks, interesting idea on the additional piece, I'll have to experiment. I've also thought of using two identical anti lift brackets that would go either side of the partition wall with a bolt through that would make it even more anti theft. It would stop the dome being able to be rotated, lifted or blown. Going to experiment tomorrow.

Is there no way to have permanent hold-downs independent of dome rotation? Here is my solution to the problem:
The hefty disks prevent lifting at all eight, support and steering wheel locations:
The stainless steel, shelf brackets are incredibly strong and stiff.

Having permanent dome retention at all orientations ensures security against lifting.

Unfortunately I am not yet familiar with Pulsar's exact moulding details.
So cannot confirm whether there is a continuous base ring or horizontal rim to use for dome retention.
I never liked the idea of having to manually set security latches on leaving the dome.
Far too risky for it to be easily forgotten!

EDIT: Just checked Pulsar offer permanent security hooks so the domes do have a lip, ring or rim for retention.
I had to paint in the top edge of the hook to make it visible.

2nd EDIT: Duplicating the Pulsar HD brackets with metalwork from any DIY store would be very simple.
Bolt an angle piece to the flange below. Then bolt a straight strip with a built in hook for the upright piece.
Preferably in stainless steel. Stiff and non-rusting. Say a fiver each per hook if you have the bolts handy?

P1340024 rsz 500.JPG982296098_PulsatHDhooksrsz500.jpg.bf3f205e651435c17871ee57df7e5014.jpg

Edited by Rusted

3 hours ago, Rusted said:

Is there no way to have permanent hold-downs independent of dome rotation? Here is my solution to the problem:
The hefty disks prevent lifting at all eight, support and steering wheel locations:
The stainless steel, shelf brackets are incredibly strong and stiff.

Having permanent dome retention at all orientations ensures security against lifting.

Unfortunately I am not yet familiar with Pulsar's exact moulding details.
So cannot confirm whether there is a continuous base ring or horizontal rim to use for dome retention.
I never liked the idea of having to manually set security latches on leaving the dome.
Far too risky for it to be easily forgotten!

EDIT: Just checked Pulsar offer permanent security hooks so the domes do have a lip, ring or rim for retention.
I had to paint in the top edge of the hook to make it visible.

2nd EDIT: Duplicating the Pulsar HD brackets with metalwork from any DIY store would be very simple.
Bolt an angle piece to the flange below. Then bolt a straight strip with a built in hook for the upright piece.
Preferably in stainless steel. Stiff and non-rusting. Say a fiver each per hook if you have the bolts handy?

P1340024 rsz 500.JPG982296098_PulsatHDhooksrsz500.jpg.bf3f205e651435c17871ee57df7e5014.jpg

Hi rusted, thanks for your comments, my pulsar dome is the older type so it's harder to see how one can do the same. The dome sits on the wall and has the wheels attached to the dome itself. Pulsar reversed that and now wheel's on the wall. Image of my dome wall shows the difference. I'd be glad if I could fit something that was perminent and didn't have to engage or disengage but I've thought about it since thieve's lifted it off and damaged it. For the life of me I can't. Perhaps a challenge for someone on here, lol.

IMG_20200709_142604.thumb.jpg.063b095ddcb37de121e4f5285b95a883.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant

You could arrange ramps to lift the security hooks clear at the flanges. 
Though you'd probably have to replace the hooks with disks for smooth operation.
Bent strip metal would do for the ramps. No need for them to be solid.
Though you'd still need to ensure the disks weren't left lifted clear when leaving the obs.
The disk support arm would need to be sprung outwards.

What's causing this strike through text? :BangHead:

dome security retention disks.jpg

Edited by Rusted

What about a large dog using the obsy as a kennel? 😱

For combatting wind lift it would be very simple to saw or file a narrow slot in the wall flanges just below the bulging wall rim.
Just cut enough away for hold-down hooks, attached to the lower edge of the inside of the dome, to pass safely through.
I doubt the strength would be much reduced. The flanges are merely location devices for easy and accurate dome wall assembly.

dome flange cutouts hooks.jpg

1 hour ago, Rusted said:

What about a large dog using the obsy as a kennel? 😱

For combatting wind lift it would be very simple to saw or file a narrow slot in the wall flanges just below the bulging wall rim.
Just cut enough away for hold-down hooks, attached to the lower edge of the inside of the dome, to pass safely through.
I doubt the strength would be much reduced. The flanges are merely location devices for easy and accurate dome wall assembly.

dome flange cutouts hooks.jpg

Thanks Rusted. I've just cobbled together MK2 version which completely latches down rotation, lift and wind 

IMG_20200710_132626.jpg

IMG_20200710_132704.jpg