Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Relocation of Pulsar Dome.

On 15/06/2020 at 15:23, Nigella Bryant said:

Repairs done today to the fabric of the dome. Revamped the bearings to the wheels while I was mending thing's. 

15922330364476338074172751425901.jpg

Hi, i swapped out all of my wheels on my early pulsar as they would get flat spots on a hot day or if the dome wasnt rotated for a while, went for solid nylon wheels.

Edited by brit 50
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let's do the maths: Pi x 2.2 = 6.9124/4 =1.728

Can't be done with four people at 2m safe separation around the circumference. :icon_scratch:

Option A. Use 2x4s to extend the radius of operator participation. NO hugs of congratulation!  :thumbsup:

Option B. Do the lift at night. Then kill and bury all participants in the garden to avoid discovery. 😱

Option C. Buy a 2.7m dome and bribe one more lifter?  :icon_clown:

Three rugby players and/or weight lifters might do it for the price of a few beers/sweaty sweety bag of steroids.

It's a shame that Pulsar does not publish weights for individual panels nor for a complete dome.

This would be valuable information for typical amateur owners gathering mugs volunteers for dome lifting.

Hope this helps? :thumbsup:

• Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Can't be done with four people at 2m safe separation around the circumference. :icon_scratch:

Option A. Use 2x4s to extend the radius of operator participation. NO hugs of congratulation!  :thumbsup:

Option B. Do the lift at night. Then kill and bury all participants in the garden to avoid discovery. 😱

Three rugby players and/or weight lifters might do it for the price of a few beers/sweaty sweety bag of steroids.

It's a shame that Pulsar does not publish weights for individual panels nor for a complete dome.

This would be valuable information for typical amateur owners gathering mugs volunteers for dome lifting.

Actually you only need one astrophotographer to lift the dome but it does need to be Mike Sidonio (AKA Strongmanmike on the astro forums.) In this link he's only carrying a 150 Kg round stone but there is a pic somewhere of him carrying an observatory on his shoulder...  http://mstecker.com/pages/appsidonio.htm

Paradoxically, perhaps, Mike's astrophotos are of exquisite delicacy and are certainly among the best in the world.

Olly

• Like 3

Thanks Olly. Interesting bloke! A real all-rounder.
I could imagine him lifting an obsy foundation slab like a doormat.

He has some nice kit as well as producing some excellent images!
Using a corrected 12" Orion Newt. That NJP Tak mounting is a beast! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rusted said:

Funny rusted, lol. Do we have to use facemasks? All happening at 12noon today. 

• Like 1

Brilliant.  Just a little confused about the platform though, presume it's going to stay like that, I was expecting it to be turned into decking.  So presumably you'll board it inside which means it will be a little higher than the wood outside and at least that way there will be no rain run off I guess, so perhaps it is a better idea than decking.

Carole 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, carastro said:

Brilliant.  Just a little confused about the platform though, presume it's going to stay like that, I was expecting it to be turned into decking.  So presumably you'll board it inside which means it will be a little higher than the wood outside and at least that way there will be no rain run off I guess, so perhaps it is a better idea than decking.

Carole 

Rats, mice and rot will soon move in. It is wide open to wildlife at present.
The stone ring doesn't seem to have a DPM. Nor does the timber framework.
Pressure treated timber might last a year or two longer than plain timber.
I've never had much luck with pressure treated on the ground so went over to oak.
If more height was wanted then a second ring of stone or bricks, with a DPM would have been better.
It would probably have been cheaper, quicker and easier too!

43 minutes ago, carastro said:

Carole 

Higher floor going inside and decking on the exposed outside.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Rats, mice and rot will soon move in. It is wide open to wildlife at present.
The stone ring doesn't seem to have a DPM. Nor does the timber framework.
Pressure treated timber might last a year or two longer than plain timber.
I've never had much luck with pressure treated on the ground so went over to oak.
If more height was wanted then a second ring of stone or bricks, with a DPM would have been better.
It would probably have been cheaper, quicker and easier too!

I've done the same as I've done my RoR which was ten years old and no rot so figured using the same method was good. There is going to be a damp proof membrane going on the outside timber and the inside before the inner timber floor and flooring are put down. Thanks for your input thoughts, always good to have other opinions for others reading the posts. Also got two cat's who already go under the timber, lol. 

IMG_20200624_092510.jpg

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Pic added
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rusted said:

Wrap some marine ply around the edges of the timber framework to exclude the wildlife and provide a neat skirting board? ;)

Hi rusted, I'm decking the edge's so should be fine but I want the cat's to be able to go under and evict anything, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1