SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New Binoculars

So after ordering the skywalker heritage telescope (awaiting 3 weeks for delivery), I decided after reading through a lot of posts on here to also purchase some binoculars so I can start getting used to the sky and what to look for. (Althought its now cloudy for the next 2 weeks. Typical!

Anyway, at first I ordered the Praktica 7x50 Falcon Porro Prism Binoculars which cost £27. I was advised that the 7 x 50 would be the best for my needs because of the wide view. However I decided in the end to purchase the Olympus 10x50 DPS I Binoculars which cost £59.99. I am not sure I ahve made the right decision, but I made the decision on the basis of my eyesight and that even with glasses I have certain eye issues and thought the extra magnification would help. Even though I udnerstand the lense shake and stability hence the original 7 x 50 choice.

The Olympus also had a lot more reviews and positive feedback. Well they arrive tomorrow so I will feedback on what i think. 🙂

What do others have and recommend? And have a I made the right choice?

71U27yERxBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

814Ow1gPIFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Dannomiss
  • Like 1

I would think that is a good decision. I haven't used this particular Olympus model, but it has a high reputation. One of the first binoculars I tried were my parents' 8x40 Olympus bins and they were great. I have no trouble using 10x50 binoculars without a tripod, and the 6.5 degree FOV is plenty. I have seen reports that the Practica has inferior optics to the Olympus

• Like 1

The 10x50mm bins are the better choice. My main reason is the size of the exit pupil. On 7x50mm it works at a fraction over 7mm (50/7), whilst 10x50 give 5mm. Now as the typical dark adapted pupil is 7mm the 7x50mm appear ideal, however in urban skies or older as we age this figure drops so the wide field of 7x50mm cannot be used. In effect you are reducing the aperture of the lenses. Therefore 10x50mm are more useful.

A second benefit is that the limiting magnitude in 10x50mm will be fainter and at such low magnifications it will split stars easier.

I hope this helps

• Like 2

I have the Olympus 10x50 and  for the money they work very well for astro use - you may have to wait a few months for darker skies to get the best out of them - unless you stay up till the early hours - I have actually had some of my best astro moments with these binoculars..  Orion neb in particular was always outstanding....

Mark

IMG_20190312_201727.jpg

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mark81 said:

I have the Olympus 10x50 and  for the money they work very well for astro use - you may have to wait a few months for darker skies to get the best out of them - unless you stay up till the early hours - I have actually had some of my best astro moments with these binoculars..  Orion neb in particular was always outstanding....

Mark

IMG_20190312_201727.jpg

Thanks Mark. I'm pleased. They arrive tomorrow, but now skies are cloudy lol

How did you take the photo? 

50 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Excellent! 65° eyepieces and an exit pupil that isn't too wide. A much better choice.

Phew... I'm Glad. I read up on so many and after ordering the praktica I had to cancel as the olympus looked so much better 

1 hour ago, Shaun VS said:

The 10x50mm bins are the better choice. My main reason is the size of the exit pupil. On 7x50mm it works at a fraction over 7mm (50/7), whilst 10x50 give 5mm. Now as the typical dark adapted pupil is 7mm the 7x50mm appear ideal, however in urban skies or older as we age this figure drops so the wide field of 7x50mm cannot be used. In effect you are reducing the aperture of the lenses. Therefore 10x50mm are more useful.

A second benefit is that the limiting magnitude in 10x50mm will be fainter and at such low magnifications it will split stars easier.

I hope this helps

Really helps. Thank you so much. I'm pleased with the decision and hopefully they arrive tomorrow 😁

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I would think that is a good decision. I haven't used this particular Olympus model, but it has a high reputation. One of the first binoculars I tried were my parents' 8x40 Olympus bins and they were great. I have no trouble using 10x50 binoculars without a tripod, and the 6.5 degree FOV is plenty. I have seen reports that the Practica has inferior optics to the Olympus

I looked at the 8x40, but from what I read the 50 would be better as let's in more light. Obviously they will be heavier but the olympus got the better reviews for sure 👍

36 minutes ago, Dannomiss said:

Thanks Mark. I'm pleased. They arrive tomorrow, but now skies are cloudy lol

How did you take the photo? 

The photo is just a sketch ... Although I only included the brighter stars as the field of view was packed with them...

Just to echo what others have already said:
There's maybe half a dozen objects that the 7x50 might be a bit better on, but only under very dark skies, so the 10x50 is the better choice; it's often considered to be the sweet spot for hand-held binocular astronomy. The Oly DPS is better than most in that price bracket.

19 hours ago, Dannomiss said:

Even though I udnerstand the lense shake and stability

You can steady them a lot by holding them properly. Use method 2 (triangular arm brace) on http://binocularsky.com/binoc_hold.php. FWIW, the "model", as a young child, independently "discovered" M34 holding his 10x50 binos like that, then devised a star-hop to show me what he'd found. If they're steady enough for a sub-10yr old to do that, they're steady enough! 🙂

• Like 1

Just arrived. They are superb and only looked out of the window 👌😁

My eyes fit snug in the eye pieces and no need for my glasses. I can hold them without any shake. Solid binoculars for £60!

IMG_20200605_120538.jpg

Edited by Dannomiss
  • Like 3

I have just ordered the Praktica 10x50 bins so i will post some pics and reviews in the coming week.

I was going to go with the Olympus myself but not knowing just how much i will use them i plumbed for the cheaper Praktica Falcons after reading very positive reviews.

we shall see ????

Edited by Jimmy Rocket
  • Like 1