SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light Optics

MikeP

On the 5th, c 10pm ,I ordered the ASIAIR Pro from FLO, after they closed for the weekend.

Order confirmation advised out of stock and due between 15-20 days.

After having set set my expectations, can you imagine the level of disappointment I felt when it arrived today? 

:)

Can we get access to the TARDIS that they appear to have so we can go to dark sky areas on demand....

The good.  I ordered a TS Photon 6 inch f6 ota on August 31st, paid for express delivery, and it arrived the next day before lunch time 👍.

The not so good.  There was a part missing so I sent the following message the same day.

Screenshot_20210904-120516_Email.thumb.jpg.945feec59f77954f6ffdd0af8e728ee6.jpg

I've not yet had a response, or received the missing part yet.  I would have waited a bit longer before posting this, but I have to go to the Midlands for a funeral tomorrow, and won't be back home until at least Tuesday. if its on the way, sorry to Steve and the team. 

I have to say though, this isn't the first time I haven't received an answer to a question - and of course its not possible to follow  a question up by a phone call. 😒

• Grant unlocked this topic

Grant messaged me and explained that GSO only supply one screw - I can't think why on earth this is as other finder foots (presumably not GSO sourced) with two holes have come with two screws, such as the Tecnosky refractor I own. Penny pinching?

Though there are some foots,  with only one hole this is not as bad as having two holes and one screw as this one is.  With the version supplied by TS the one screw only applies pressure at one end.

If the foot of the bracket itself is not made to good tolerances, this means the finder can wobble on the finder foot - as is the case with  one SW bracket I have. This resulted in my SW RA correct view 50 mm finder falling off the scope when the weather was very cold and the screw became loose through the metal contracting.  The finder snapped when it hit the ground and I haven't yet managed to repair it.

I haven't a spare srew and Grant is unsure they have one, and if so how much it will cost.

Apologies to Grant as I didn't realise he was at home and I was keeping him from his family while we exchanged messages!

The offending  GSO foot is below.

20210904_134846.thumb.jpg.5f93a75756acac157a0cf0d62da23981.jpg

3 hours ago, paulastro said:

I've not yet had a response, or received the missing part yet. 

Unfortunately Paul requested his review be posted even though we have explained both his negative points are incorrect.

Hopefully then he won't mind us posting our response. 

We received Pauls query late Wednesday so replied when we reopened Thursday morning. There was no delay and we received no email bouncebacks so cannot account for why he did not see our reply. We have not received a response from him, other than his negative review here today. (Though his review was posted on a Saturday my colleague responded directly to him within minutes). 

We have checked every conversation with Paul so can say with confidence we NEVER failed to respond promptly. We have suggested he check his spam folder and email filter settings because we can find no issues our side to account for him not receiving our responses.

Regarding the missing part: It is NOT missing. Finder-shoes fitted to GSO manufactured telescopes have one thumbscrew (this is shown in our product photo). One is enough to secure the finder-scope. There is another threaded hole so an additional thumbscrew can be sourced and supplied if requested. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 8

• Steve locked this topic

Hi Folks 

Firstly i would like to thank First Light optics for all the customer service excellence they have given me since I have bought most of my Astronomy Equipment from such a reputable company🥇  and I would recommend them with 5   to anybody starting out in this amazing Field.  well done Folks at FLO  keep it up.

David

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Ordered a Tak adapter expecting it to take months considering it's not an item which is purchased very often, received it in about 3 weeks.

I also wanted to say that whenever I've had to return items, FLO have been very responsive and the returns have always been no-fuss.

Thank you FLO!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi all, just a quick thankyou to first light optics.. a few weeks back I was looking for an item which unfortunately was out of stock,  so I clicked on the box to email me once it was back in..thinking that would be a few weeks with the current situation I put it to the back of my mind...So later this week I when I got that email I placed the order on Friday... to my astonishment I recieved a further email saying it would be delivered today.. and so it did... but I'm afraid to open the box as it may contain clouds

So thankyou to the team at flo...good job , job'd 

Edited by newbie alert
Adjusted
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to FLO for the excellent service in supplying a scope to my brother.  It's a very nice telescope at a fantastic price, we have also ordered a camera for EAA. Very happy.

• Thanks 1

I bought a Baader Maxbright II binoviewer almost two years ago but it was faulty from the off and so had to go back to Baader.  They were out of stock and couldn't send me a replacement until a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately, as a few of you will remember, the courier threw this over a 5 foot gate onto our patio!

I couldn't get the images to merge, but didn't know if there was a fault or if I'm one of those who can't use binoviewers.

I'd just put another order into FLO and, as we were holidaying near Exeter, arranged to collect it.

Even though I hadn't bought it from FLO (they were out of stock otherwise I would have done so) they very kindly checked the Maxbright for me and found it was out of collimation.  Baader are now going to arrange collection from FLO and send me a replacement, although this may take some time as they're again out of stock.

In the meantime I've bought a Stella Lyra linear binoviewer from FLO so that I can see if I can use binoviewers.  Apparently some people who can't use conventional binoviewers can use linears.

Once again this is superb customer service from FLO!  No wonder they're my first port of call - if FLO have it in stock they get my business.  Simples!

• Thanks 1

Ordered a new SW motor focuser and a remote control before Xmas. I new that the remote control was out of stock and what with Xmas and New Year it would be a while before they were available again. FLO have kept me updated and the items came into stock on Thursday. Received from the courier yesterday morning! Can't get better service than that! Thanks Aunty FLO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking for an item, ( Starsense Explorer bits and bobs, ) Saw it cheaper elsewhere, but would rather use FLO, so asked for a price check and no fuss, just done! Thank you Grant and the team.

Why shop anywhere else? :grin:

( Unless I suppose they don't have the item! )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have always been very pleased with experience with FLO. But late last Friday I saw the FLO offers and I placed my order and had some questions which were answered. My order arrived on Tuesday which I thought was very quick.

Overall very friendly and very impressed with the service.

Clear Skies Noel

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For the first time, I have to say I was a a little bit disappointed with @FLO today. I had ordered a Celestron bag for my new to me scope, which arrived a day late and rather poorly packaged. It had a little bubble wrap and A bin bag for packaging! Not really good enough, but I suspect part of my disappointment, it their usually very high standards. All was safe and intact however, so I guess I can let them off this time, I just hope it doesn't happen again. :undecided:

IMG_20230419_183109_22-Copy.thumb.jpg.5a466b44297782630ea265482357d9ea.jpg

• Steve unlocked this topic
18 hours ago, Greymouser said:

All was safe and intact however, so I guess I can let them off this time

It is good to hear your soft case arrived safely 🙂 

We often use 'industrial black pallet stretch wrap' (not a bin bag) when wrapping soft fabric cases and telescope covers. 

It is strong, flexible and sticks to itself.

Here it is in its natural habitat. 

pallet_stretch_wrap_sgl.jpg.165b3b17b7cf9ff781c28867848e1eab.jpg

We will happily deliver a soft case in a box if you type "Deliver in a box" in the 'Delivery Instructions' box at the Checkout. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 4

• Steve locked this topic

I ordered a ZWO single filter drawer from FLO and a spare filter holder. For those that do not know there is a V1 and V2 drawer, but they are not compatible with each other. (I did not know any of this either)

So the upshot is my V1 spare holder wouldn't fit into my V2 drawer, so I pinged an email over to FLO and asked if I had made an error. I knew I had but didn't know "how" I had!

Next thing is an email from FLO apologising saying their site should be clearer about the V1 / V2 thing, also that a V2 replacement was posted out free postage, finally a return label was emailed to me to send the other V1 version back to them. 

Absolutely first class service guys, above and beyond expectations there. 👍👏

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I noticed an issue with a recently bought telescope and emailed First Light Optics for advice.

Emails were answered promptly. FLO offered to arrange a return via courier and replacement without fuss or extra costs to me.

Steve at FLO's customer service skills are impeccable. Thanks for your help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1