Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light Optics

MikeP

I have spoken to Steve from FLO and I will have to slightly change my order as I have ordered the wrong one. I will also need an extra bit to go with the MPCC. Steve did explain to me what it was and why I needed it. So there will be a delay in reviewing the MPCC. No fault of FLO's, I should have done my homework that bit more. :clown:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing FLO do need is some indication of stock level on their website and estimated arrival dates for stuff not in stock. This should really be standard on all good online shops these days. So far I have stuff ordered three days back with no indication of what is happening other than that they have taken payment. No response to emails and no phone calls. As Steve is happily posting on these forums while I wait I assume they are not all on holiday!

• Confused 1

Hi Mark,

Please accept my apologies. Your order arrived Sunday and we are still playing catch-up after the SW Astro Fair.

I have noticed that you haven't claimed your SGL discount so have just refunded £47.49 :D

Will call later today regarding delivery.

• Like 1

One thing FLO do need is some indication of stock level on their website and estimated arrival dates for stuff not in stock. This should really be standard on all good online shops these days.

Actually, I agree :D

Unfortunately, it would require something like an epos stock management system, which is too expensive for a company like FLO (still less than a year old).

Our biggest concern however is communications. Astronomy is a technical subject that generates a tremendous amount of enquiries, particularly emails and PMs. It is a major challenge each day just to keep on top of them! So, we are investing in new dedicated customer support/information package designed to improve overall communication and to prevent emails/PMs slipping thru the net. Grant is installing it as I type and will be training Greg and I in its use sometime next month. I'll post more in the Sponsors section later.

• Like 1

Hopefully the stock management system can still be considered when future turnover and profits allow as it is extremely useful from a customers point of view although it may reduce the number of speculative orders that are currently placed with no knowledge of stock levels.

The comms upgrade sounds very useful. A comprehensive FAQ on the website for the most commonly asked questions would probably divert a certain amount of repetitive email and PM traffic.

All success with the upgrade ! :D

A comprehensive FAQ on the website for the most commonly asked questions would probably divert a certain amount of repetitive email and PM traffic.

The software will compile a searchable database of answers that over time will become a useful reference that should satisfy some of the more general enquiries - similar to SGL :D

Are you saying I've been spending all this time on here talking to a glorified reply service? :shock: :shock:

Seriously though, I think that it may be a good idea for SGL to have a larger beginners' primers section. Although, I've seen how opinions change over time to the same question ie: 'I'm a beginner, what scope should I get?' so perhaps not then :insects1:.

Tony..

Hopefully the stock management system can still be considered when future turnover and profits allow as it is extremely useful from a customers point of view although it may reduce the number of speculative orders that are currently placed with no knowledge of stock levels.

Any system would need to allow for an indicative time for delivery. Its impossible for a smaller retailer (or indeed some larger ones) to hold lots of stock so any stock management system might end up with a zero after most of the stock listed. This can be offputting to the customer but this is unfair to the retailer as many items that are ordered will be despatched within 24 hours from an alternative location such as a manufacturers distributor.

When I want a piece of kit in a hurry I will just pick up the phone and ask Steve whether he has it or not or how long it'll be for it to be shipped. Much easier for me although it takes up more of Steve's time..

James

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well after upgrading to a nexstar 102slt i was after a lense & filter set and decided upon the Celestron eyeopener box-set. Mooched about on Ebay for a few days and then remembered FLO and thought "what am i doing looking on Ebay when i can get discount from SGL and pay my cash to a fellow member" So i went ahead and ordered yesterday afternoon and the package arrives today at 13:30 thats about 25 hours after placing the order!

Thanks Steve, fantastic service and a great site

First Light Optics have done it again. I've recently bought my Fluorostar 110 off Steve - a hell of a scope - so I've just ordered a 24mm Hyperion eyepiece on Wed. and it arrived yesterday (Friday) First class scope, first class eyepiece and first class service from a first class supplier. Thanks again, Steve. :icon_jokercolor:

Only bought a couple of small bits 'n' bobs so far, while I save up for

a decent EQ mount, but got to take my hat off to Auntie FLO for such

a wonderful service :icon_jokercolor:

Bought a set of eyepeices from somewhere else last year (sorry Steve), and

they didn't turn up for over a month, with no contact, no reply to my emails,

no-one at the phone... if I did that at work it would be down the dole, no more

astro stuff etc etc etc :embarassed:

Cheers Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a Celestron EyeOpener Accessory Kit from FLO a few weeks ago.

When I ordered it, it was not in stock, so i had to wait a few weeks, however Steve has been a great help, responding to my Emails and keeping me updated. At no point did I feel left in the dark about my order.

I have now received them, and Steve threw in a Celestron ColliCap as a little extra :rolleyes:

Have been very impressed with Steve and FLO, and how my concerns seemed to be top priority, and they were dealt with in an extremely professional and friendly way.

Can't wait to use them again :thumbleft:

• 1 month later...

Just adding to what everyone else has said, PM'd steve regarding colimation, and he contacted me, told me the basics and told me not to be too worried, advised me to get the celestron collicap, (instead of trying to push a more expensive alternative), arrived within 48hrs, complete with instructions.

Followed steve's advice and successfully colimated my Newt first time out! shouldn't have been

so apprehensive about doing it myself, and it's all thanks to you steve!

Saving for a nice set of EP's that i would like your help with as we type!

Nick. :wave: