Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first attempt at planetary imaging with Skywatcher Evostar 72ED - Be kind;)

7 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

I see.. I hope you will receive the field flattener soon then. It's a great setup!

Yes looking forward to using it. At least I am getting some use out of the star adventurer using my lenses.

• 9 months later...
On 04/06/2020 at 06:09, Victor Boesen said:

While I was out waiting for the Starlink 7 satellites to pass:

I grabbed a couple of videos with my Nikon D3300 DSLR and my 2.5X barlow in my Evostar 72. I know the large sensor of the DSLR and "short" focal length of 1050mm is far from optimal but I'm quite surprised with how the final images came out!

I've always wanted to do some planetary imaging but because of a lack of time and to some extend also money I've never really committed. These images have made me reconsider purchasing the ZWO ASI-120MC for my 10" dob or even the Evostar 72ED.

Jupiter.jpg.e3b07635529b15effb58f7b0b5d385ce.jpg

Saturn.jpg.4ad1d9ffc7769bd80877bcdf1c147b4c.jpg

Not too bad for a 72mm ED refractor if I should say so!!

Advice is of course appreciated!

Victor

Very Impressive,

I'm currently waiting for my Evostar 72 to arrive as they are in backlog at the moment. When it arrives I would like to start out trying to take pictures like you of the planets and the moon if possible using a 1 1/4" 2xBarlow I have and a Canon DSLR with a T-ring.

But I have a couple of questions regarding your imagetrain: Did you use a 2" or a 1 1/4"  Barlow and did you use any special eyepice projection adapters?

Did you add an extension tube in order to achieve and if so what length was necessary?

I hope it will be possible to use the following immagetrain: 

Telescope focus tube -> 2" extension tube, length x -> 2" to 1 1/4" adapter -> 2x Barlow with tread for T-ring -> T-ring -> DSLR

Michael

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MIW61 said:

Very Impressive,

I'm currently waiting for my Evostar 72 to arrive as they are in backlog at the moment. When it arrives I would like to start out trying to take pictures like you of the planets and the moon if possible using a 1 1/4" 2xBarlow I have and a Canon DSLR with a T-ring.

But I have a couple of questions regarding your imagetrain: Did you use a 2" or a 1 1/4"  Barlow and did you use any special eyepice projection adapters?

Did you add an extension tube in order to achieve and if so what length was necessary?

Telescope focus tube -> 2" extension tube, length x -> 2" to 1 1/4" adapter -> 2x Barlow with tread for T-ring -> T-ring -> DSLR

Michael

attached backfocus available with canon dslr so roughly 80mm from the rear of the focuser to make up with accessories if this helps as the camera is the 55mm from the front of the camera bit in the diagram 

diagram-01 (1).jpg

On 26/03/2021 at 23:00, MIW61 said:

Very Impressive,

Michael

Hi, I used a 1.25" barlow lens with a 2" to 1.25" adapter from my previous 250P dobsonian I owned at that time. Here's an image of the setup:

image.thumb.png.df63d2e96497147ff4025036e8f24a75.png

It wan't really an ideal solution since I would either need inward focus with a 50mm extension tube or need outwards focus without the extender. The focuser on Evostar 72 isn't meant for this configuration for a long time😅

• 7 months later...
On 29/03/2021 at 23:20, Victor Boesen said:

Hi, I used a 1.25" barlow lens with a 2" to 1.25" adapter from my previous 250P dobsonian I owned at that time. Here's an image of the setup:

image.thumb.png.df63d2e96497147ff4025036e8f24a75.png

It wan't really an ideal solution since I would either need inward focus with a 50mm extension tube or need outwards focus without the extender. The focuser on Evostar 72 isn't meant for this configuration for a long time😅

Thank you for the details with respect to the image train. I ended up buying a TS Optics 80 mm Photoline f6 Triplet as the Skywatcher Evostar 72 kept on being delayed. But I'm still confident that for the price the Skywatcher is a fantastic telescope which your pictures all ready show.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MIW61 said:

Thank you for the details with respect to the image train. I ended up buying a TS Optics 80 mm Photoline f6 Triplet as the Skywatcher Evostar 72 kept on being delayed. But I'm still confident that for the price the Skywatcher is a fantastic telescope which your pictures all ready show.

No problem at all! I believe you made the right decision, as I would also have turned to the TS APOs today if I was looking for a refractor in this size range. The price increase of the Evostar 72ED since I purchased it and the new TS scopes with improved focusers and built quality means the Evostar 72ED simply isn't as much of a bargain as it used to be in my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by Victor's post I decided to try to shoot jupiter with my Evostar 72 as well. So yesterday evening in a rare moment of clear sky I imaged with the 72 ED, a barlow 2X with an extender that probably makes it 2,5X and a ZWO ASI 385 MC that with its small sensor gives a high crop factor. Seeing was mediocre, FPS about 70 (only an old notebook with USB2 available at the moment), some 5000 frames stacked. The result was better than expected, obviously the details are not very fine, but from such a small aperture...Colour correction  of this scope on the other hand seems to be very good.

CS

Paolo

Giove 2 ED72+bw_24-11-2021_19_20_10_lapl4_ap13-cropped.png

Edited by Sinemetu63
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sinemetu63 said:

Inspired by Victor's post I decided to try to shoot jupiter with my Evostar 72 as well. So yesterday evening in a rare moment of clear sky I imaged with the 72 ED, a barlow 2X with an extender that probably makes it 2,5X and a ZWO ASI 385 MC that with its small sensor gives a high crop factor. Seeing was mediocre, FPS about 70 (only an old notebook with USB2 available at the moment), some 5000 frame stacked. The result was better than expected, obviously the details are not very fine, but from such a small aperture...Colour correction  of this scope on the other hand seems to be very good.

CS

Paolo

Giove 2 ED72+bw_24-11-2021_19_20_10_lapl4_ap13-cropped.png

Except your result looks a lot better than mine;) Amazing what this small scope can achieve with its small aperture and focal ratio.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Victor Boesen said:

Except your result looks a lot better than mine;) Amazing what this small scope can achieve with its small aperture and focal ratio.

I think that the higher crop factor makes the difference, together with being southernmost. 

CS

Paolo