Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Victor Boesen

My first attempt at planetary imaging with Skywatcher Evostar 72ED - Be kind;)

Recommended Posts

While I was out waiting for the Starlink 7 satellites to pass:

I grabbed a couple of videos with my Nikon D3300 DSLR and my 2.5X barlow in my Evostar 72. I know the large sensor of the DSLR and "short" focal length of 1050mm is far from optimal but I'm quite surprised with how the final images came out!

I've always wanted to do some planetary imaging but because of a lack of time and to some extend also money I've never really committed. These images have made me reconsider purchasing the ZWO ASI-120MC for my 10" dob or even the Evostar 72ED.

Jupiter.jpg.e3b07635529b15effb58f7b0b5d385ce.jpg

Saturn.jpg.4ad1d9ffc7769bd80877bcdf1c147b4c.jpg

Not too bad for a 72mm ED refractor if I should say so!!

Advice is of course appreciated!

Victor

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great start Victor, nice clean sharp images.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, David Smith said:

Great start Victor, nice clean sharp images.

Thanks David!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some nice shsrp details visible there Victor, well done! Those little 72mm fracs are very versatile. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Some nice shsrp details visible there Victor, well done! Those little 72mm fracs are very versatile. 

Thanks and yes I'm also very surprised with the performance of the little scope. Couldn't have asked for a better valued scope when I was on the lookout for one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe small but they're crisp and sharp. well done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarkAR said:

Maybe small but they're crisp and sharp. well done.

Thank you very much;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victor

Received my SW 72ED Tuesday and since then :clouds1: so unable to test in anger great images.

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pete Presland said:

Lovely sharp Planetary images.

Thanks Pete;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, fozzybear said:

Victor

Received my SW 72ED Tuesday and since then :clouds1: so unable to test in anger great images.

Andy

Good luck with it! It's an amazing telescope for the money. Really surprised with the visual and imaging capabilities of the scope. Although it does benefit from the OVL field flattener if you want to use it for imaging;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Victor,

A question if I may are you using a 2" barlow or 1.25"  with your ED72?

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Victor Boesen said:

Good luck with it! It's an amazing telescope for the money. Really surprised with the visual and imaging capabilities of the scope. Although it does benefit from the OVL field flattener if you want to use it for imaging;)

just got one from here to go with the scope 45 quid.... have all the gear but the weather :( to test it all out

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice, Victor.

I have a simple rule-of-thumb for first attempts (of any object): If you posted the image with no comment, would people know what it was? In this case, a definite 'yes' for both. Well done with the less than optimal equipment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fozzybear said:

just got one from here to go with the scope 45 quid.... have all the gear but the weather :( to test it all out

 

Ahh great;) Let's hope the weather clears up then!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Very nice, Victor.

I have a simple rule-of-thumb for first attempts (of any object): If you posted the image with no comment, would people know what it was? In this case, a definite 'yes' for both. Well done with the less than optimal equipment.

Thanks! That's good to hear:icon_salut:

I hope I can do some more planetary imaging this summer with my 10" dob and perhaps I'll even grab a ZWO ASI120MC-S for some "serious" planetary imaging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, fozzybear said:

Victor,

A question if I may are you using a 2" barlow or 1.25"  with your ED72?

Andy

I had a 1.25" barlow laying around that I hadn't used for ages. It's 2.5X and it seems better than what I expected since I recall it wasn't that expensive.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

Good luck with it! It's an amazing telescope for the money. Really surprised with the visual and imaging capabilities of the scope. Although it does benefit from the OVL field flattener if you want to use it for imaging;)

Unfortunately the OVL is the bit I am waiting for. I have the 72ed and the star adventurer pro but no flattener and because  because of this I cannot achieve focus. I have various extension tubes but none of the right size. The delivery of the OVL is July. 

Sorry forgot to mention the imiges. Very nice and sharp. Well done.

Edited by Chefgage
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great images Victor, especially considering the limited aperture. Your website is brilliant too 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chefgage said:

Unfortunately the OVL is the bit I am waiting for. I have the 72ed and the star adventurer pro but no flattener and because  because of this I cannot achieve focus. I have various extension tubes but none of the right size. The delivery of the OVL is July. 

Sorry forgot to mention the imiges. Very nice and sharp. Well done.

That seems very weird... I have no trouble reaching focus with my DSLR and a 2" 50mm extension tube without the OVL FF. What camera are you using?

And thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kyle Allen said:

Great images Victor, especially considering the limited aperture. Your website is brilliant too 👍

Thank you very much! Good to know my website isn't rubbish:biggrin: Thanks for taking a look;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

That seems very weird... I have no trouble reaching focus with my DSLR and a 2" 50mm extension tube without the OVL FF. What camera are you using?

And thanks!

It's the OVL or the correct size extension tube I am missing. I do have a few fixtures and fittings but I am either too far in or too out with my camera (canon 200d).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

It's the OVL or the correct size extension tube I am missing. I do have a few fixtures and fittings but I am either too far in or too out with my camera (canon 200d).

I see.. I hope you will receive the field flattener soon then. It's a great setup!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For 72mm that's pretty good. It makes you wonder if most of us are not getting the best out of smaller scopes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

For 72mm that's pretty good. It makes you wonder if most of us are not getting the best out of smaller scopes.

Thank you Michael! The Evostar 72 is great for the price! It really made me enjoy a small scope a lot more coming from a 6" dob and currently a 10". Not my last small and portable refractor!

Edited by Victor Boesen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.