Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A sea of golden stars

Allinthehead

Hi all, I can't believe i even got an image given the conditions for rgb imaging. No astro dark, quite a low target and an average 70% moon over the two nights. I just recently set about collimating the Epsilon and i think the increased sharpness from decent collimation shows. It's still off in the upper corners so more tweaking required. I wonder is it tilt i'm looking at or spacing.

So this is 5 hrs gathered over the last two nights

100*180 second subs with the Asi2600mc through a Takahashi Epsilon 130

Mounted on an AZEQ6

Sequence generator pro for the image acquisition.

Processed in APP, PI, and PS

Richard.

New

30576405_Bayer_driz_qualfinalcopy.thumb.jpg.b83a7596967946c2e25df1c6fc36f1db.jpg

Original

402791861_6hr_Calfinalsat.thumb.jpg.41e6eab3f13628bef2776bf8bb625c51.jpg

Edited by Allinthehead
  • Like 40

1 hour ago, andrew s said:

Fantastic images. I could hang it on my wall.

Regards Andrew

Thanks Andrew, second image is the same as the first, just lower res for slow connections.

54 minutes ago, des anderson said:

What beautiful colours. Des

Thanks Des, I was pleasantly surprised with this result, last of the season unfortunately.

Beautiful image Richard, just ordered the ZWO ASI2600MC from FLO today, still messing with SharpStar collimation, been too windy to use it on the iEQ45 recently and don't want to mess with the 10Micron just yet, might have to get one of those Rainbow mounts when the bank balance recovers 😁

Dave

6 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Hi all, I can't believe i even got an image given the conditions for rgb imaging. No astro dark, quite a low target and an average 70% moon over the two nights. I just recently set about collimating the Epsilon and i think the increased sharpness from decent collimation shows. It's still off in the upper corners so more tweaking required. I wonder is it tilt i'm looking at or spacing.

So this is 5 hrs gathered over the last two nights

100*180 second subs with the Asi2600mc through a Takahashi Epsilon 130

Mounted on an AZEQ6

Sequence generator pro for the image acquisition.

Processed in APP, PI, and PS

Richard.

.png

1429491558_6hr_Calfinalsat.thumb.png.e43efe7d523a38a9bcf632dfcade85e8.png

.jpg

1606024871_6hr_Calfinalsat.thumb.jpg.0b001d511fd0702d4dafe84f147fe6d7.jpg

Wow, talk about an optics test!

Never mind the conditions, this still looks great in my eyes. The sheer number of stars is remarkable. When viewed at 100%, virtually every single one is resolved perfectly. The Tak & 2600 is looking like a nice combo Richard!

ps - Maybe it's my SW80ED eyes talking, but i'm not seeing any issue in the corners. And in fact, i'm not completely sure I want to have it pointed out to me, lol. In this hobby, ignorance (if not quite bliss) is certainly easier on the wallet! 😄

Edited by Xiga

Love it, love it, Love it, that is truly amazing Richard, superb processing, the more I see yours and @tooth_dr Adams images, the more you lot are pushing me to save for one!

What temp are you getting the ASI2600MC down to?

22 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Beautiful image Richard, just ordered the ZWO ASI2600MC from FLO today, still messing with SharpStar collimation, been too windy to use it on the iEQ45 recently and don't want to mess with the 10Micron just yet, might have to get one of those Rainbow mounts when the bank balance recovers 😁

Dave

Thanks David. That's some collection of gear you have now, hopefully we'll get to see an image from you sometime soon😉 seriously though should be an excellent combination. 

22 hours ago, markse68 said:

Hi Richard, that's a really beautiful image- what's the target called? Do we know if the dark areas are something blocking the stars behind or holes in a thin densely blanket of stars?

Mark

Thank you Mark. I have no idea what the area is. I need to look into that, usually when i pick something to image i'll try to learn something about the target but i wasn't expecting anything so i didn't. I know the cluster top right is Ngc 6793. Just from looking at the image it looks like the dark stuff is blocking the stars behind.

Edited by Allinthehead
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Xiga said:

In this hobby, ignorance (if not quite bliss) is certainly easier on the wallet!

Thanks Ciarán. You're correct about that, pursuing perfect stars with a fast newt is a sure path to madness. 

7 hours ago, Jkulin said:

Love it, love it, Love it, that is truly amazing Richard, superb processing, the more I see yours and @tooth_dr Adams images, the more you lot are pushing me to save for one!

What temp are you getting the ASI2600MC down to?

Thank you very much John. Not pushing it as it doesn't really need it but -10 at the moment and -20 in cooler conditions. So far it's proven to be a very reliable camera with no sign of dreaded dew/frosting issues.

• Thanks 1

I read a forum topic recently that advised using bayer drizzle in place of the other debayering options, so i gave it a try and i liked the result. Something else i tried was to use local normalisation when stacking due to differences in sky brightness over the two nights. Pretty decent improvement i think. New image above.

44 minutes ago, x6gas said:

That's absolutely stunning Richard.

Thanks very much, i normally wouldn't have bothered given the conditions. Glad i did now. It's not much fun working the next day, but worthwhile if you get some decent data.

23 minutes ago, Wyvernp said:

That's really something special.

Very nice of you to say.

30 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Absolutely incredible.

Makes me think of the song "Woodstock"!

We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon.

Ah yes, love it. Thanks 

27 minutes ago, Wyvernp said:

Just been looking at this area of the sky in the SGP mosaic planner. I can see myself spending quite some time in this region.

Reading my mind.