Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 - Now LRGB

Ishan Mair

Finally, this project is completed and so is this season (I hope not)... The LRGB version of M51 is here..Took me 5 nights (1 in April and 4 in May) to image the whole thing. And very long to process. Wish to add Ha but its been cloudy since a week and a storm expected this week.
1600328915_M51-LRGB-2020-06-01.thumb.jpg.30b430485e789563f43cc488373932fc.jpg

Here's the Astrobin link
https://www.astrobin.com/k6o2c0

I have not been able to get the star cores and colors right. Tried using HSV Repair Script in PI but to no avail. Please help me out with that.

L : 220 x 60s
R : 90 x 60s
G : 98 x 60s
B : 120 x 60s
All frames at Gain 0 & Temp. -5C..while ambient stayed above 33C entire nights.

Equipment
Camera : ZWO ASI1600mm Pro
Telescope : Skywatcher 130PDS
Mount : HEQ5Pro
Guiding : Orion 50mm guidescope, Orion SSAG Camera
Filters: Orion LRGB
Other/Accessories : ZWO FW, Pegasus Dual Motor Focuser

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Ishan Mair
Duplicate image
  • Like 18

Very good rendition. 

Lots of detail and good background balance.  It looks like some coma on the brighter stars (are you using a corrector with correct spacing etc?) so I think you'll have a tough time completely fixing the issues you are seeing, but the galaxy looks really good.

Thank you for the comments, Ray.
Yes I agree corrector spacing is not right. I use a Baader MPCC and I used the image train arrangement as shown on ZWO website but couldn't get it right (55mm). Filter's thickness and refractive index play a role, don't they?
Does the spacing need to be more or less?  I have no idea.

2 hours ago, Ishan Mair said:

Thank you for the comments, Ray.
Yes I agree corrector spacing is not right. I use a Baader MPCC and I used the image train arrangement as shown on ZWO website but couldn't get it right (55mm). Filter's thickness and refractive index play a role, don't they?
Does the spacing need to be more or less?  I have no idea.

It's just a case of trial and error really.  I would say that if you have set it at exactly 55mm then it is likely you will be adding rather than taking away, so just some delrin spacers and add, say, 0.5mm at a time and try it.

It's a good image and you've processed it well.

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Great image, lovely colours.  I don't think it needs any Ha.

Thanks Mark. That's what I thought as soon as I merged the L with RGB. The pink blobs of gas were sitting right there.

12 hours ago, RayD said:

It's just a case of trial and error really.  I would say that if you have set it at exactly 55mm then it is likely you will be adding rather than taking away, so just some delrin spacers and add, say, 0.5mm at a time and try it.

It's a good image and you've processed it well.

Thanks again Ray. I have some of those lying around. I'll put those in the next time.

20 hours ago, Bluecloudyeagle said:

Excellent image! always great to see a fellow Indian here. If you don't mind me asking, where do you get the equipment in India from? (like the ZWO camera, orion guidescope, filters etc)

Thanks Shivam. I replied to your post on another forum as well. I ordered these from dealers like OPT or direct from ZWO website. We have to pay the usual customs and duties etc. My experience with dealers in our country has been average so far.

15 hours ago, Pankaj said:

Awesome image. Sharp & crisp with lot of details.

Thank you.

• Like 1