Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which focuser for C.9.25

oldannie

Am planning to buy a C9.25 specifically for lunar/planetary imaging and will be using it on my HEQ5 with a ZWOASI74.  I want to add some kind of focuser to this set up but not sure what to consider so would appreciate some advice.  Although my DIY skills have improved since I started deep sky imaging they're not great so looking for something fairly straightforward.  Budget is not a huge issue. (but not limitless!!)

Annie

Top pick would be a FeatherTouch. Beautiful bit of kit but £££££.Had one on my C11.

Not quite as good but second choice would be a Moonlite or Baader. Steeltrack 

They simply screw onto the SCT thread on the back of the scope.

F193709C-DCF2-4C51-B7D9-9F81BAE65024.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

As said above, those focuser units are lovely bits of kit. I have a Moonlite on my DSO kit.

For my 9.25 and planetary imaging, because my ASI 174, Barlow and manual filter wheel aren’t that heavy, I decided to give the SW unit a go. At £140 it’s not premium kit but to be honest it is spot on and I have had no thoughts at all that an upgrade is needed. I would highly recommend it.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/dual-speed-2-crayford-focuser-for-sct-telescopes.html

Am going to have a look at the Revelation. If by any chance I don't find it satisfactory I can always go for the expensive option.

Thanks for the suggestions guys - much appreciated

Annie

2 minutes ago, oldannie said:

Thanks for the suggestions guys - much appreciated

Having just seen this thread I'm now tempted to do the same and invest in a new focuser. I've just seen FLO also offer the stepper motor for the Lakeside system so I can re-use the other bits from my existing set up and spend a little less to automate the focusing. Why oh why do I read threads like this that just invite me to spend more money!!!

Sorry Ken!! 

Have had a look at all the suggestions and have to say the Feather touch is very tempting and as am now in my 70's - what the hell!!  Am now looking at motors - any suggestions in that direction?

Annie