Narrowband

Mounting a long telephoto lens

Hi there everyone,

I was recently loaned a long telephoto lens (Canon EF 500mm F4), it's a fantastic lens and I really want to do some AP with it but I am not sure what's the best way to mount it. I have a AZ EQ6 mount with an ADM Side-by-side bar which accepts both Vixen and Losmandy dovetails. Does anyone know of a solution. Here's a couple of photos:

The mounting bar currently attached to the lens foot is too wide for a Vixen attachment bar and too narrow for a Losmandy.

Thanks everyone

😀 Dan

20200601_194714.jpg

20200601_194704.jpg

Thanks for the replies, I do have a spare vixen dovetail and I can run a screw through one of the holes but the spacing is different on the lens foot so I can only get one screw in. I may have to drill a new hole through the dovetail bar to get this to work...

11 hours ago, spaceman_spiff said:

Hi @Skipper BillyI just measured the screw holes in the foot of the mount...looks like they are separated by 3.6cm, shorter than my long vixen dovetail. Hi there

@Philip R do you know if the two holes in the medium Vixen dovetail match with the mounting foot (separated by 3.6cm)?

Thanks for all your help!

20200601_220018.jpg

The 18cm dovetailbar has two slots plus a 1/4” hole/thread in the middle. Unfortunately I have temporary mislaid mine to measure it. :cussing: 

The underside is recessed and I use 1/4” socket cap screw/bolts and washers and the heads do not protrude and do not scratch or foul the saddle plate.

I can also just fit it in the saddle plate of my camera ball-head (non-Arca Swiss type) mount without any issues.

Edited by Philip R