SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 now in Panavision and some colour

tomato

I did a hurried 6 panel mosaic last October but back then my mosaic processing skills were still in their infancy. I have gone back to it and took a bit more care with neutralising the background and got a better result. If you zoom in there are some weird swirls and twists in the overlap regions, I have seen these before in APP, I need to research further.

I took a meagre amount of RGB data on each panel, I'll see how this looks now.

Thanks for looking

St-avg-9900.0s-NR-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-eq-mult-sc_BWMV_adv-AAD-RE-MBB12-session_1_session_2_session_3_session_4_session_5_session_6_1stLNC_it3-mod-St.png

Edited by tomato
post topic title updated
  • Like 6

Further work in APP to smooth the background and improve the mosaic joins, and a meagre amount of colour added.

Processed (slowly) in Startools 1.6, it's not very deep but it  is  only one hour of integration per panel.

NewComposite.jpg

• Like 6

Here is another version where I have tried to put more blue into the spiral arms. However, it is starting to look like one of my 'direct hit on a paint factory' renditions so that's it for now, it definitely needs more data on this scale.

NewComposite (4).jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I like the 'paint factory' gag! I'd stick with the Mk1 colour which has a great background.

There are still waves of variable brightness affecting the mosaic, I think. I don't know how to address this in APP. Do you combine the linear then stretch?

Olly

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I like the 'paint factory' gag! I'd stick with the Mk1 colour which has a great background.

There are still waves of variable brightness affecting the mosaic, I think. I don't know how to address this in APP. Do you combine the linear then stretch?

Olly

Thanks Olly, it comes from my hot rodding days when some custom paint jobs were considered to be a bit too OTT.

As I had such little data, and as ever, being too impatient, I created a full  mosaic in each of the 4 channels. This is not how Mabula recommends it is done, instead I should have stacked each panel separately, and then combined them. Maybe the moral there is stick to what the experts tell you, but for once I was experimenting.

However, I think I have demonstrated the concept, and with the dual rig now available I can hopefully do this justice when Andromeda gets a bit higher in the sky.