Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

aditya10

Polar Alignment Using a Canon DSLR, Raspberry Pi, and SkyWatcher AZ-GTi

Hello!

This is my first post on stargazer’s lounge, so forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask. 

I have a SkyWatcher AZ-GTi mount (with a firmware update + eq wedge so that it can run in eq mode). I also have a Raspberry Pi 4 with INDI, KStars, and Ekos tools. I don’t have a guidescope (and my budget is extremely limited), so I was wondering if there was a way to polar align my DSLR using just the software running on the Raspberry Pi. 

I’m also competent in Python, if that could be useful for anything. 

Yes, if you set up your camera profile in Ekos you should be able to run the PA that build in to the Alignment module.

Yes as @MarkAR says, you can use the Alignment module in Ekos to Polar Align with your DSLR. You will need to have downloaded to the Raspberry Pi all the recommended Astrometry files for the FOV (field of view) of your camera sensor and lens or telescope combination. You start with the mount in the Park position (pointing roughly towards the North Celestial Pole) and run the PA routine. Choose an exposure of about 5 seconds. I found that it could take 45 seconds for the 'plate solve' which establishes the precise position of the image, before the mount moves by 15° and another image is captured and then a third final image, before Ekos calculates the error in the mount pointing and tells you that the mount is for instance to the right and below the NCP. The alignment window shows the error as a purple vector on the final image. You click on a suitable star in the image, and subsequently adjust the mount to move the star image to the optimum location. With a DSLR this process takes quite a time since each adjustment step made needs an image to be downloaded and displayed - but in my time I have done it successfully!

24 minutes ago, Avocette said:

and subsequently adjust the mount to move the star image to the optimum location

Yes, move the mount alignment bolts not the mount motors.

With a little tweaking I can get under 6" accuracy.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astrid
      After a few months of getting used to my new 8 inch beast, I decided to start astrophotography (luckily today is Black Friday in most tech shops in my country). So I decided to drop the idea of buying a DSLR and started thinking about getting a webcam. The thing is that I want to try deepsky AP, so i was wondering, is there a webcam that could get me good results for DSO AP? Don't worry, I don't want anything too fancy because I'll be happy with entry-level images. (i saw some nice Andromeda pictures with 20GBP cameras on this forum so I'm confident that it would work).
      My budget is ±100 GBP, which in my opinion is more than enough for a good webcam . So... is it worth getting a webcam? Or is there something better? Should I wait and raise more money for a DSLR?

Thanks a lot!
      Astrid 

• By endlessky
      I would like to share my first picture ever posted and the first real picture captured with my Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series (not counting the test shots for "first light").
      This is IC 1805, also known as the Heart Nebula, taken over 4 nights, under my Bortle 5 home sky.
      Total integration time: 8h 52m 20s.
      Here are the acquisition details:
      Mount: Sky-Watcher NEQ6 Pro
      Telescope: Tecnosky 80/480 APO FPL53 Triplet OWL Series
      Camera: D5300 astromodified
      Reducer/flattener: Tecnosky 4 elements, 0.8x
      Guide-scope: Artesky UltraGuide 60mm f/4
      Guide-camera: ZWO ASI 224MC
      2020/10/07: Number of subs/Exposure time: 1@60s + 80@90s. Notes: No filter, Moon 70% illuminated
      2020/10/13: Number of subs/Exposure time: 2@60s + 11@180s + 1@200s + 12@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, no Moon
      2020/10/27: Number of subs/Exposure time: 59@180s + 1@240s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 88% illuminated
      2020/10/28: Number of subs/Exposure time: 48@180s. Notes: L-Pro filter, Moon 93% illuminated
      Total exposure time: 31940s = 8h 52m 20s.
      Pre and post-processing: PixInsight 1.8.8-6.
      Unfortunately, the best out of the 4 sessions (no Moon and L-Pro filter) was also the shortest one. But, after waiting for 5 months for my telescope, I couldn't pass up the few clear skies opportunities I got since it arrived, Moon or no Moon.

Here's a link to the full resolution image: Heart Nebula (IC 1805)
      Thanks for looking and commenting!
    • By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      I'm selling these 2 filters since I'm getting a mono astro cam. The filters are barely used and in perfect condition, no scratches, no fingerprints, not even dust. They are both amazing filters, probably the best investment I've made. I've attached some images
      taken with these filters, using a 100$ celestron newtonian, a 250$ Canon 500D and the infamous AVX. Also attached are images of the filters showing their perfect condition.
      Astronomik CLS-CCD Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/filter-gegen-lichtverschmtzung-filters-against-lightpollution-lpr/cls-ccd-filter/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-cls-ccd.html
      Original price including VAT is 155 Euros (around USD 182). I got it for around USD230 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 100.
      Astronomik Ha 12nm Canon Clip in Filter: https://www.astronomik.com/en/clip-filter/clip-filter-canon-aps-c/clip-filter-eos-mit-astronomik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html
      Original price including VAT 194 Euros (around USD 228). Got it for around USD 270 including VAT, shipping and custom taxes.
      Selling for USD 150
      I am willing to ship them on my own expense using LibanPost (from Lebanon). Shipping might take time; if you would like to use some other shipment method please contact me to discuss the price. 
      Feel free to buy one or both together.
      Let me know if you have any questions. 
      You can also contact me on <private email address removed>
      Cheers,
      Anthony

• By autonm
      I made a new video - which walks through the downloading, installing and setup of AstroBerry (astronomy software running on Raspberry Pi) - and then I connect to an HEQ5 and DSLR camera. Nothing to complicated - but its the basics covered.
      There are a lot of videos out there on using AstroBerry, but not too may walkthroughs on the actual setup. Although Rp and Ab should be simple theres a lot of questions out there just on the setup.
      Hopefully the video gives people confidence on the first steps and is enough to get them going.
      https://youtu.be/Bgn3KioAAJ0
      Many Thanks - clear skies & if the video is helpful please subscribe.
    • By Peggson
      I shot this yesterday from a Bortle 6 backyard. Edited in Pixinsight and Photoshop

If someone here knows how to remove purple stars, please  help me . I tried defringing but it didn't really work.
      Also the date is wrong should be 9.10.2020. lol

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.