Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Who knew astronomy could be so risky?

I was finishing setting up in the dark last night when I returned to the house to fetch another couple of things.

BUT, I’d forgotten I’d closed the glass sliding doors on my trip out and walked straight into them.

What utterly idiotic self-harming things have anyone else done?

Magnus

625C4337-C368-45D3-A50B-A4DA4778E635.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 8

If it makes you feel any better Magnus, I once walked right through a glass partition. I was only 8 years old and on the first day of our family holiday in Cornwall.  I'd been playing in the hotel garden and after coming back into the hotel, I saw a beautiful little blonde girl walking down the stairs holding her daddies hand. She was so pretty she stopped me in my tracks, and I turned to watch her walk through the main doors still hand in hand with her dad. As i came back down to earth I turned to walk into the bar room where my parents were having a coffee with friends, but instead of walking through the open door I walked through a sheet of glass that extended from ceiling to floor. I cut both temples and my right knee, but I was lucky. A week or so later a lad in Scotland did the same thing and lost his life. The glass must have been terrifyingly thin, as today as you found out, I'd have bounced off the glass. Back then, health & safety didn't exist. That was fifty years ago, and I never saw that pretty little girl again after that first encounter. I wonder if she could still turn my head? 💘

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 5

Good to know that you made it without serious harm. See this little real story in AAVSO's page for SS Cygni:

Dr. Wheatley wrote the next day:

Chris phoned me at 0700 UT with the news from Hawaii. I got onto XTE and triggered the satellite straightaway. They have an advertised response time of seven hours, so it's possible we'll get onto SS Cyg with 11 hours of the first observer calling Janet. That would be great...I was so excited at the news that I fell off my bike on the way to work - and I'm sitting here covered in cuts and bruises. It's a dangerous business we're engaged in.

Astronomy is truly dangerous :happy11:

• Like 2

I have walked into (twice so far)  35 kg of counter weights bolted to around 2.5 tonnes of pier and base foundation, so needless to say I have always come off worse, but it does shift the Polar Alignment a tad.🤕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Jonk said:

I know it's not funny, but was this you....?!

Ouch. At least he probably had the benefit of being excessively pre-anaesthetized! Interesting also to see how his priorities changed as to what he was holding pre- and post-impact 😫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On way back from obsy to house, slipped on the mud in the winter, fell over and rolled into the pond!!  No injuries other than to my pride.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Ouch, now that looks painful!!

Done far too many idiotic things to even start mentioning, practically my middle name.  My Mother used to say that if all the stitches I've had in my head opened, it would fall off 🤒

Hope it's not as sore as it looks.

• Haha 2

Oh no, I know how that feels,  I walked into a plate glass door in a hotel in Australia, and ended up with a black eye.

I have stood up after bending down and cracked my head on my counterweights.

The most frightening thing was stepping out of my campervan in the middle of the night, to check on my imaging, and I stepped onto a set of campervan steps I had recently bought, and they sunk in the muddy ground and tipped over leaving me turning a somersault crashing into the wing mirror of the van and landing on the ground.  This was doubly worrying, because only Davey T was around at the time, and probably shut inside his own campervan oblivious, and no-one would have known I was on the ground somewhat stunned if I hadn't managed to get myself up, but also because I was only recently recovering from a fractured knee at the time it happen.  Needless to say I bought a completely different set of campervan steps after that, that don't sink and can peg into the ground so they don't tip over. 

Carole  

Edited by carastro
  • Sad 5

I've fallen asleep and fallen off my observing chair several times.

The other night I nodded off whilst using binoviewers and got a rude awakening as I nodded and became very closely acquainted with a bair of BCO Orthos.

That smarted somewhat and well and truly woke me up but no real harm done.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Gina said:

On way back from obsy to house, slipped on the mud in the winter, fell over and rolled into the pond!!  No injuries other than to my pride.

Oh no!  There's a famous historical novel (The Murdered House) set near to my place, in which the villains do away with a wealthy enemy by soaping the path round his ornamental pond on a winter Friday.  They chose Friday because, in winter, his housekeeper always gave him pieds et paquets, an incredibly rich offal dish, that evening. To slip into cold water after such a meal would be - and was - fatal. Watch what you eat on imaging nights, Gina!

😮lly

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, AdeKing said:

I've fallen asleep and fallen off my observing chair several times.

The other night I nodded off whilst using binoviewers and got a rude awakening as I nodded and became very closely acquainted with a bair of BCO Orthos.

That smarted somewhat and well and truly woke me up but no real harm done.

Nothing to do with the wine?🍷

1f602.png

Roger

On holiday in Corfu many years ago I was making my way from our room to the pool via the main lounge where a group of new arrivals were being given a welcome drink. The lounge had about 8 or  10 very large sliding glass doors and as I was giving the new arrivals the once over I walked straight into one of the closed glass doors which made a sort of booming sound which caused everyone to turn to look at the idiot who walked into a plate glass door. Fortunately the only damage caused  was to my pride.

• Like 2