Narrowband

Rilles In & Around Pitatus

cloudsweeper

7.50pm, Moon 1 day after 1st quarter, east of south, fast 102 frac ready.

Pitatus lies to the south of Mare Nubium.  Its rim was not as detailed as that of Copernicus; its small central peak was clear.  Below it is a pair of similar craters, Gauricus and Wurzelbauer.  

After an hour, more fine detail showed up in Pitatus, x120 - a tight chain of craterlets in the SW rim, and across the NE rim, a pair of parallel shadows, from terraces perhaps.  Great to see such detail in a light sky.  Abutting Pitatus to the west is Hesiodus, with a tiny pit at its centre, x200.

My targets were the Hesiodus Rille, and the rilles inside Pitatus's rim to the north and east.  Sharpest views were obtained at x120, 150, and at 9.35, the Hesiodus Rille just popped into view - very faint, at about 45deg in the EP.  More length was noticed with AV, then, once seen, it was easy to go back to!

(Looking around briefly, Rupes Recta (Straight Wall/cliff) was a distinct dark gash in M. Nubium, and further south, Clavius was a fine sight as ever with its arc of craterlets of decreasing size.)

Still hoping to spot the rilles inside Pitatus, I raised the mag, but still found the view more stable at x150.  Then, at 10.10, with a darkening sky, the rille inside the eastern rim was glimpsed - a satisfying observation!  The one to the NW is apparently better defined, but escaped me.  Good results nonetheless - patience paid off, 2 hours 40 minutes well spent.

Doug.

• Like 2