Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Processing error or camera error? (100% user error but where did I go wrong?)

Hi all, 

My first time imaging with ASI294 and processing in Pixinsight - have been practicing on some of my DSLR shots in Pixinsight to get the hang of it and all working reasonably ok.

Stacked using flats, bias and lights both manually and using batchpreprocessing. Use Auto Background Extraction (also tried Dynamic background extraction) and am left with a lot of red all around which I can't seem to get rid of. 

What have I done wrong and is there a way to fix it? Is it because I did not shoot any darks (I believe that I can do this now as my camera is cooled so can just set to cooled to shoot them?) 

Have tried as much as I can but am really stumped and as am a beginner worrying that maybe something was wrong when I took the photos - I used unity gain (120), cooled camera and my flats don't show much gradient apart from vignetting, neither do any of the single lights so am stumped!

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help!

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 15.22.39 2.jpg

What scope? I've seen this kind of pattern with sct's occasionally. And when someone had dew on the front element of the scope. Check your subs.

You can fix most of it with dbe, and desaturating the background. In dbe you plaster samples all over the image. Large (25 pixel radius or more) samples avoiding stars and galaxies. Increase tolerance. Forget about ifn, just flatten that background all you can. 

Edited by wimvb

On 31/05/2020 at 15:47, maverixsian said:

Hi all, 

My first time imaging with ASI294 and processing in Pixinsight - have been practicing on some of my DSLR shots in Pixinsight to get the hang of it and all working reasonably ok.

Stacked using flats, bias and lights both manually and using batchpreprocessing. Use Auto Background Extraction (also tried Dynamic background extraction) and am left with a lot of red all around which I can't seem to get rid of. 

What have I done wrong and is there a way to fix it? Is it because I did not shoot any darks (I believe that I can do this now as my camera is cooled so can just set to cooled to shoot them?) 

Have tried as much as I can but am really stumped and as am a beginner worrying that maybe something was wrong when I took the photos - I used unity gain (120), cooled camera and my flats don't show much gradient apart from vignetting, neither do any of the single lights so am stumped!

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help!

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 15.22.39 2.jpg

I see amp glow and this chip is known for uneven cooling producing patterns in the background. So I would say its just bacause your darks are not working correctly.

Adam