Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Butterfly Nebula

This is 16 x 600s Subs 2x2 in OIII and SII and 16 x 600s 1x1 in Ha combined as SHO. Acquired over the last 3 nights with a total integration time of 8 hours representing the most I've ever got on one object - pathetic I know. It so much easier to process with more data, I really most make the effort to stay at least 6 hours on each target. I've probably spent at least that amount of time playing with the look and feel of this, i can't seem to get the gold look that makes the Hubble pallet so appealing.

Also included is a detail from the main image with possibly a more appealing framing to it.

Butterfly.thumb.jpg.8cd0815eedff7b31287341e3de56309c.jpg

ButterflyDetail.thumb.jpg.0b48c6c3ace9a07f89f37b929dd7f9ad.jpg

Edited by silentrunning
  • Like 15

2 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Both the wide field and the crop look superb John. The stars are perfect and there's so much subtle detail in the gas and dust on display :thumbright:

Thanks Geoff, I had to work on zoomed in areas as the amount of detail was literal giving me a headache! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, silentrunning said:

Thanks.

This was with the GSO 12" RC, the QHY11 camera and Baader filter.

Every time I see images from your GSO makes me wish mine was here now. I cant wait :)

That QHY11 looks great too.

5 minutes ago, Star101 said:

I am hoping to know an ETA tomorrow. I sent an email to the shop as I saw it in stock elsewhere in Europe. So shipment is coming through :)  I ordered it about two weeks ago.

I'm excited for you! It's been a while since I bought any new major components to my set up but I guess that's a good thing 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silentrunning said:

I'm excited for you! It's been a while since I bought any new major components to my set up but I guess that's a good thing 🙂 

Thanks John,

Its my 60th in August and as my C11 XLT will be 10 years old I decided I need an upgrade to something slightly better. Obviously, order it now, so I get some idea of how to use it before the nights start drawing in in August ;) 

• Like 2

Superb image, I love the colour.  I think a lot of people are moving away from the vibrant gold and blue HST rendition to something a little more muted like this.  It works really well dusty regions.  Top job!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Superb image, I love the colour.  I think a lot of people are moving away from the vibrant gold and blue HST rendition to something a little more muted like this.  It works really well dusty regions.  Top job!

Thanks Martin. I was just about to embark on another processing effort to try and render the gold of the HST but I don't think i'll bother now. 🙂