SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky Watcher bk 1309 eq2 eye piece doesn't fit.

Hi everyone,

A while ago I bought an used Sky Watcher bk 1309 eq2 from ebay and I have finally gotten around to taking it out of it's box.

Everything seems clean, shiny and in good condition although I am missing the counterweight and the 10mm lense I believe it is supposed to come with - I do have the Super 25 Wide Angle lense.

However - it does not seem to fit into the housing. It is slightly too small and in no way fits deep enough for the clamping screws to hold it.

I assume I am missing a piece and am going to need buy it but what exactly am I missing? Can I duct tape the EP into place and still use it?

My google-fu does not seem strong with me here so I turn to your wiser and more experienced heads for help.

Thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, GrinningD said:

However - it does not seem to fit into the housing. It is slightly too small and in no way fits deep enough for the clamping screws to hold it.

Can you post up a photograph of the eyepiece loosely inserted in the holder, please so that we can access what is going on?

• Like 1

could you share some pics so we can see what you are working with?

I have the SW130EQ2 and yes it should have 25 & 10mm eyepieces but buying used one may have already been missing. The 25mm isn't bad at all and the 10mm is quite usable but if you are going to have to go buy a replacement it'd be worth upgrading to a better one perhaps. Did it also come with a barlow lens, usually 2x on these?

• Like 1

Hi thanks for responding!

Nope no other lens at all.

This is a pic of me holding the 25 lens at a slight angle to show how it doesn't quite fit.

Taken me a while to reply as I have duct taped the lens in place and have been staring at the moon for about two hours now in total awe. I also never quite realised how fast that puppy moves!

Anyway, any advice on parts would be great, I'll take photos of anything else you feel might help.

Thanks again!

20200530_182218.thumb.jpg.dae70157a137fe029aa1c4fe90acb5ed.jpg

As per the above comments, the nosepiece appears to be missing. The chances of obtaining this as a spare part are vanishingly small, so you need to buy two eyepieces to replace the missing or unusable ones.  You also need to buy a counterweight as it is not really safe to operate the mount & scope without it. Weigh the OTA and get a counterweight with approximately the same weight or less, and the hole size to fit over the counterweight bar.

Check astroboot.eu as a possible source of budget spare parts.

• Like 1

The eyepiece can be picked up pretty cheaply so probably not worth buying a new nosepiece. 

There must be loads of people on SGL with one of these sitting unsued so why not post in the wanted section. Sure  someone would let you have one for the price of the postage.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Yes it must be a missing nose piece that is the problem.

Absolutely brilliant advice and answers thank a bundle guys! I'll try out the wanted section and I have astroboot.co.uk open in another tab. I'll try and post again once I get the parts and get it all set up.