Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DIY Dewshield?

Astrosurf

Hi all,

I've made a pretty rough dew shield out of a yoga mat, which I also used last night to try to block an annoying LED street light - it's shielded but still bright. There seemed to be strange clouding in my images, which change a little in each sub. I wondered if there was still some light getting in and reflecting as the mat isn't black.

Has anyone made a cheap but sturdy black dew shield who could give me some pointers? It's for a SW 200P. Many thanks.

Alexxx

For my reflectors, I made some using the stiff plastic sheets, used to 'open' bin\garden waste bags, before filling with leaves etc. and then lining with black felt. Because its' stiff I was able to cut it to fit the OTA, avoiding the obstructions etc., but I don't know if they are still available ??

Dew_Shield.thumb.jpg.bf42eb68decdcb9fec01849f3c655aa5.jpg

• Like 1

These dew shield extensions were made for the SW Esprit 150 from a piece of 8” plastic tube,  lined with the self adhesive flock material available from FLO.

B4A1D7F8-4AA8-49FD-A94B-910306CCD271.jpeg

• Like 4

FWIW I once tried making one from a Yoga mat and found it made that end of the Dob way too heavy.  I gave up in the finish and now manage without.

• Like 1

Made one for my SW200p by rolling black plastic damp course membrane (buy in 25m roll!) over the end of the scope overlapping it and pulling it tight. Push it hard up against the screws near the end of the tube. Secure the roll with a few pieces of strong black fabric tape. Then repeat the process over the first roll and again over the second roll, extending it to a total length of about 250mm. Its still very floppy so carefully cover the inside and outside with layers of tape to add stiffness. Tape is a bit tricky to handle especially inside the tube but as it stiffens it gets easier...honest. The membrane and tape are cheap so you can afford to experiment to learn the technique. It may not look too professional but its light, its cheap an it works. Good luck!

20200604_212954.jpg

20200604_213100.jpg

20200604_213144.jpg

• Like 2

On 30/05/2020 at 22:23, tomato said:

These dew shield extensions were made for the SW Esprit 150 from a piece of 8” plastic tube,  lined with the self adhesive flock material available from FLO.

B4A1D7F8-4AA8-49FD-A94B-910306CCD271.jpeg

Looks good! Where did you get the tubes from?

@Tomatobro sourced this, you need to find someone on the net who doesn’t want to sell you 3 metres of the stuff.

I had a quick look, this supplier will sell you a metre of 200mm diam for £23.70

https://www.tapnshower.com/200mm-8-round-plastic-ducting-pipe-blauberg-blaufast-pvc-circular-ventilation-ductwork-1m-long?of_tid=MFRWG5B5GIYDAJTGMVSWISLEHUYSM4DSN5SESZB5HA2DIMI&adGroupId=48979319677&device=t&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvOy9yIb96QIVU-3tCh3yDAOyEAQYDSABEgKEt_D_BwE

• Like 1