Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LeDu2 in Cygnus

pietervdv

Hello all,

Finally found some time to make another astrophoto (was 5 months ago...). I sustained a pretty bad cycling accident in February and was only able to carry my equipment outside again about 3 weeks ago. Great to be able to make an image again.

This one was on my bucket list for several years and I have spent 20 hours on it the last couple of days. It's a 2 panel mosaic of a very faint and rarely imaged patch of nebulosity next to DWB145 in Cygnus. Thanks to Nicolas Outters for the inspiration!

Scope: 10" f/3.8 homebuilt Astrograph with 3" Wynne corrector

CMOS: ASI-1600 MM Cool (-15°C)

Filter: Astrodon 5nm h-alpha

Exposure: 20 hours in 5min subframes (2 panel mosaic)

Mount: Mesu200

Thanks for checking it out,

Pieter

LeDu2 small.jpg

• Like 16

Very nice, that inclined ring structure is striking, as are those streaks at upper right. Thanks for showing us something new, these filaments in Cygnus are often overlooked in favour of the more famous objects. I can only assume they are the result of multiple supernovae and stellar winds from massive stars.

If anyone is wondering where this is, I found DWB145 on Aladin (you may need to zoom out quite a bit). I'm not quite sure where LeDu2 is in relation to it though. @pietervdv, can you help us please?

42 minutes ago, pietervdv said:

Thanks to Nicolas Outters for the inspiration!

The discoverer of the Squid Nebula in Sh2-129 if I'm remembering correctly.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Very nice, that inclined ring structure is striking, as are those streaks at upper right. Thanks for showing us something new, these filaments in Cygnus are often overlooked in favour of the more famous objects. I can only assume they are the result of multiple supernovae and stellar winds from massive stars.

If anyone is wondering where this is, I found DWB145 on Aladin (you may need to zoom out quite a bit). I'm not quite sure where LeDu2 is in relation to it though. @pietervdv, can you help us please?

The discoverer of the Squid Nebula in Sh2-129 if I'm remembering correctly.

Thank you!

LeDu2 is right here; it is not very obvious in Aladin, this is the outline of my image.

Regards,

Pieter

afbeelding.thumb.png.cd3018c1bd2c8919bd992bfe7b86f276.png

• Like 1

Thanks Pieter, got it now. Looks like I just managed to pick it up as a faint ring in my DSLR image but unsurprisingly it shows no detail at 135mm focal length.

Very interesting object, formed in an outburst of some kind? I'm assuming it's one structure but the region is so busy I guess that's not certain. There also appears to be a star cluster to the right of it, I wonder if that is catalogued.

Edited by Knight of Clear Skies
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Fabulous image, Pieter. Astrophotography at its best.

Sorry about the accident!

Olly

Thanks. You are forgiven. 😉 That does not go for the senior citizen who ran me off the road. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2020 at 09:44, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Taking another look at this one, I haven't seen an image I've liked more for some time. I wonder if there is any OIII signal in the area? It might shed some light on the nature of the ring.

Indeed, you read my mind. The region next to this was imaged by Lorenzo Comolli and there are extremely faint traces O3 present in the whole area.

http://www.astrosurf.com/comolli/d207.htm

He focused on the G82.2+5.3 supernova remnant in DWB145  just besides my frame.

I suspect there is something very interesting to see in O3 in the bottom left part of my picture. Something to try my 4.5nm O3 baader filter on.😉

Pieter

• Like 1