Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep10_banner.thumb.jpg.7d9aac0f1560a2cc993c68be03d025bf.jpg

Altocumulus

Lunt LS60 & ZWO 174MM - Questions

Another 'bouncy' day with the old Sun this morning.

Two questions, if I may.

1) I've started to notice some linear artifacts around the rim of my images - This is a snapshot, but all my frames are similarly affected and AS3

produces a stack that's no better! Can anyone shed some light? You will probably have to blow it up a wee bit to see.

952502832_Capture_00001(1).png.5649e5a77dd06ab3d2f4ee56e69a67a2.png

2) For those who do use a 174MM on their Lunt 60 - how do you attach it? Direct to the blocking module, or with spacers.

• Like 1

Thanks Richard.

The image artifacts is a new one - lots of small spikes tangential to the curve.

One the attaching, I just screw the 174 body directly onto the module.

'tis a steep learning curve from the 120MM.

• Like 1

I  had to add a 2inch adapter between the module and the camera - I was getting large illumination problems all over the image. At least it 'cured' that particular issue.

Try AS!2 fella & compare the two

11 hours ago, Ewan said:

Try AS!2 fella & compare the two

I get the 'sparkles' on a snapshot, before I've even done any post-work.

The pixel size on a ASI174 are too large for a Lunt 60. Once you zoom in you will see "blockiness" around the edges. You'll need to Barlow up to increase the image scale.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Zakalwe said:

The pixel size on a ASI174 are too large for a Lunt 60. Once you zoom in you will see "blockiness" around the edges. You'll need to Barlow up to increase the image scale.

And yet the 174 is supposed to be a commonly used cam on the L60...

25 minutes ago, Altocumulus said:

I have a 174 and use it with a PowerMate 2.5 for this exact reason. At native focus you can see the individual pixels as you have to zoom in so much.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Altocumulus said:

ZWO ASI178MM is a much better match, it's what I and a few others on here use with the LS60.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

ZWO ASI178MM is a much better match, it's what I and a few others on here use with the LS60.

Dave

2.4micron pixels versus the 5.86 of the 174. The 174 is great for a long focal length system such as a Quark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all.

I'll swop them round and use the 174 on the other 'scope, and the 178 on the LS60 - snag is I don't find the 178 particularly fast - at least not this altairastro version. It's supposed to be ~50fps full frame, but I barely manage ~6fps......I'll experiment, though not for a day or two, it's supposed to be raining here tomorrow.

In the meantime I discovered, today, my Lunt is losing pressure, so that'll have to be checked...I think I have some grease to go with spare "O"-rings.

The 174 is an excellent choice for solar (and lunar) but you need to be around f/20 optimally. A lot of my solar images in my Flickr link below are a Lunt 60 and 174 but with a 2.5x powermate. I also use the 290 chipped cam from ZWO.

• Thanks 1