SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Lovely filaprom on show today - 30th May 2020

Stu

Having missed the excitement yesterday I had a look in Ha to see what was remaining. Plenty of proms around, including a very nice filaprom at 7 O’clock in the PST Mod view. It is part of a much bigger, quite messy prom!

A patch of surface brightness too further around. Worth a look

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Stu said:

Having missed the excitement yesterday I had a look in Ha to see what was remaining. Plenty of proms around, including a very nice filaprom at 7 O’clock in the PST Mod view. It is part of a much bigger, quite messy prom!

Thanks Stu. Just setup after reading this, and it’s a lovely spread out prom 

Looking in WL I can see some nice facula near the limb. I can see a dark spot just behind it so looks like a new AR is on the way. Anyone else see this? Would an AR normally follow a large prom like was reported yesterday?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Littleguy80 said:

Looking in WL I can see some nice facula near the limb. I can see a dark spot just behind it so looks like a new AR is on the way. Anyone else see this? Would an AR normally follow a large prom like was reported yesterday?

Yes, I think the prom is likely associated with the AR.

Earlier I saw a very bright prominence which I suspect may have been a flare of some sort? It has disappeared completely now so was very short lived. It was at about 5 o’clock vs the 7 o’clock for the filaprom. Anyone else see it?

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this Stu. With a smaller scope (I’m using DS 60mm Lunt today), had to push magnification a little higher than normal (up to 60x-70x) to really appreciate the filaprom. New 70mm filters coming on Tuesday so I’m hoping I’ll be able to observe at around 80x and above more comfortably when seeing allows. 

13 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Thanks for posting this Stu. With a smaller scope (I’m using DS 60mm Lunt today), had to push magnification a little higher than normal (up to 60x-70x) to really appreciate the filaprom. New 70mm filters coming on Tuesday so I’m hoping I’ll be able to observe at around 80x and above more comfortably when seeing allows. 

Glad you saw it Mark. It was quite noticeable in the 100mm PST mod. Sure your new filters will be amazing!

4 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Thanks all, had a look in WL and very visible now, a definite spot and a nice facula or is it a plage?
Whatever it is, its Solar activity to look at in WL, woo hoo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Good stuff. Can you see the filaprom?

Yes. I thought I also saw something two days ago, a dark filament running down the surface, starting from the edge.  I’ll see if I can find the data and get it processed. 

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 09:53, Stu said:

😎 saw that filaprom yesterday, plus a snaking dark filament further around if  doppler tuned just right. Enjoying the Ha these sunny days - even if the sun is pretty quiet.  Loads of big proms evolving today...

• Like 2