Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice for Scandinavian summer nights

Hi fellow enthusiasts :)

I'm a complete novice who's got the bug of AP during this lockdown. 

We are about to move to one of the Scandinavian countries where as you know, it doesn't get too dark during those summer nights.

Some advice would be really appreciated so I could pick up my collection of useful filters before we move.

Additionally to bright summer nights, I might be in quite light polluted area as well where at the other end of the town is a huge greenhouse what emits a lot of light across the sky (that might be mostly during winter though to keep plants growing)

I will have a modded Canon 600d on AZEQ6 GT mount and my targets will be DSOs. I've also just purchased SkyTech CLS-CCD clip in filter - no idea if that was a good idea actually :)

Which filters would you suggest I have in my collection for those bright summer nights and long and dark winter nights (keeping in mind that greenhouse and other city light pollution)?

Thank you very much :)

G'day Kirret,

Stick to narrowand imaging with the modified DSLR, you can get a clip in Ha filter and extract the red channel of the image to get a pretty decent mono Hydrogen alpha image.

How is the mount doing? Have you got it up & running now?

Edited by johnrt
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnrt said:

How is the mount doing? Have you got it up & running now?

Hi John

Thanks for your recommendation :)

I'll pm you about the mount with some very good news :)

Where in Scandinavia will you be located? LP near any larger city is about the same as any other European city. But once outside reach of the light dome, you can enjoy fabulous dark skies.

During the summer, you will need an anti mosquito filter.

22 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Where in Scandinavia will you be located? LP near any larger city is about the same as any other European city. But once outside reach of the light dome, you can enjoy fabulous dark skies.

During the summer, you will need an anti mosquito filter.

Ha, I had fogotten about mosquitos when living in the UK. And I'm a mosquito magnet! Do you have any recommendations for the filter :D