Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starlight Live on Mac 10.15 Catalina?

richardlawler

I've recently had to upgrade my MacBook Pro to Catalina 10.15. I find that Starlight Live 3.3 and 3.4 just crash on launch. I am trying to use it with my Starlight Xpress Ultrastar C. 

Has anyone had any success using Starlight Live on Catalina?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 03/08/2020 at 00:17, Martin Meredith said:

Good news! Is this something that happens automatically after an update or is there something else one has to do manually?

Martin

Sorry, I don't really know what triggered the fix. I was having problems as noted up-topic. And then when I tried to run Starlight Live again at a later date, I was notified of the problem and that it was being repaired. I think it was the result of some sort of integrity checking that Mac OS does automatically. 

I wonder if it related to the issue with Nebulosity on Catalina as documented in this thread: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/679560-nebulosity-4-not-running-on-macos-catalina/

What SLL and Nebulosity might conceivably have in common is the USB-handling library, libusb. It is possible that a Catalina update fixed that issue for you.

I've been using OSX for some decades now and I must say that Catalina for me has definitely been the most troublesome variant to date. I hope it isn't indicative of lower standards at Apple otherwise its Linux here I come 🙂

Martin