Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How can I attach a Skywatcher 72ED to Celestron 8 Edge HD?

Hi All

Depending on the piggy bank I’m thinking of getting a Skywatcher Evostar 72ED primarily for photography.

However, it strikes me that I might also be able to press it into use as a guide scope on my 8” Celestron Edge HD.

I’d be grateful for any advice on how exactly I could  attach it to the ota please?

I already have a StarSense camera and a finder-scope attached.

Thanks 🙂

11 minutes ago, Ade Turner said:

Hi All

Depending on the piggy bank I’m thinking of getting a Skywatcher Evostar 72ED primarily for photography.

However, it strikes me that I might also be able to press it into use as a guide scope on my 8” Celestron Edge HD.

I’d be grateful for any advice on how exactly I could  attach it to the ota please?

I already have a StarSense camera and a finder-scope attached.

Thanks 🙂

ADM and others do various dovetail kits for the top of the C8 in mini, vixen and losmandy profiles.  I have the losamndy on the top of mine, but for the 72ED I suspect a vixen would be more than sufficient.

All you would need to be careful of is the height if you are using a filter wheel as it could clash with the OTA.

375034476_ADM1.jpg.7021247da50b7fda6abe11906679ea9d.jpg

18 hours ago, RayD said:

ADM and others do various dovetail kits for the top of the C8 in mini, vixen and losmandy profiles.  I have the losamndy on the top of mine, but for the 72ED I suspect a vixen would be more than sufficient.

All you would need to be careful of is the height if you are using a filter wheel as it could clash with the OTA.

375034476_ADM1.jpg.7021247da50b7fda6abe11906679ea9d.jpg

Thanks for the advice Ray, I’ll check those out 👍  
Looking at the ota I see there are several screw heads. Is there a way to identify which are safe to use for attachments? Wouldn’t want to undo anything critical by mistake 😬

14 hours ago, Waldemar said:

And you will need adjustable rings and a clamp(s) of course. Plenty pictures available on the web of such a setup.

scope-400-56-piggyback-small.jpg

Thanks Very much Waldemar - that makes it clear now 👍

1 hour ago, Ade Turner said:

Thanks for the advice Ray, I’ll check those out 👍  
Looking at the ota I see there are several screw heads. Is there a way to identify which are safe to use for attachments? Wouldn’t want to undo anything critical by mistake 😬

If you get this type of fitting you will see it's pretty clear which screws to remove as they line up with the slots with the rail in the middle.

• Like 1