Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello

KathGarvey

Hi Ya Kath , a very warm welcome to SGL. i do hope you find it as exciting as i did when i first joined, plenty of advice here for the novice and indeed for those of us who have been imaging a long while ,we never stop learning .

As its been stated a second hand GPS8 are excellent having owned two myself, i can honestly say ,they deliver the goods.

Best of luck

Rog :hello2:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kath

I have the CPC 1100 which is a joy to use for visual observing. I recently set out on the long steep path of astrophotography and have no difficulty with webcam/ video cam images of about 30 seconds duration. Using a Canon 350D it is ok for exposures up to 60 seconds. Above that I get star trailing and problems with field rotation - but you can do quite a bit with multiple 60 second subs. I do intend to get an equatorial wedge which I'm assured will allow me to extend exposure time considerably. I have seen excellent pictures posted here and elsewhere obtained using a CPC and wedge. Also bear in mind that longer exposures really need to be auto-guided which would involve another scope and camera attached to the main one. Serious astrophotograpers do however always seem to favour equatorial mounts. By the way I very quickly got a set of JMI wheeley bars so I could leave the scope set up and just wheel it out of the garage when I needed it. Best wishes.

Mike

Thanks Rog and Mike for your warm welcome, and your advice.

I think to start with I would be very happy to capture images up to 60 seconds. So i think i wil go with the CPC 800 /GPs8.

I have a lot to learn so do not think I will be rushing to do Long exposure photography straightaway.

Though I am going to still give myself a few days to weigh things up, so i do not make a mistake :hello2:

Regards

kath

Hi Dave

Last night I had changed my mind and was going for the Advanced series with EQ mount.

But after having a conversation with FLO, I think I have gone back to the CPC 800, Just one or two things they mentioned make me think the CPC800 will be the right one for me.

My other hobby beside photography and now Astronomy is sewing,Choosing my equipment for sewing is so much easier :hello2:

Regards

Kath

My other hobby beside photography and now Astronomy is sewing,Choosing my equipment for sewing is so much easier :D

It doesn't feel that way to me at the moment Kath, I'm going through angst trying to find the right pattern for a small sampler for my aunt and uncle's golden wedding anniversary in March :hello2:

But glad you're making progress on the scope decision :thumbright:

Helen

Hi Kath and welcome,

do you have a local astronomy society you could visit to see if they have the scopes you are interested in,

this might simplify your choices and give you some idea regarding setup etc.

regards ron.s.g

Archived