SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello

KathGarvey

Hi Stargazers

I am a late starter to Astonomy at 58, I have always had an interest in the stars, but recently due to my granddaughter, my interest has grown to wanting my own scope.

At the moment we have the Skywatcher 130pm which belongs to my DGD, but I am thinking of getting myself either the

Celestron CPC 800 GPS (XLT) or the [/]Advanced Series C8-SGT (XLT).

I am a keen amatuer photographer when I can , my cameras being a Canon 40D plus a 30D. So am very keen to explore Astrophotography at some point in the future.

I would like to ask your opinion on whether you would go with the CPC 800 and buy the wedge for long exposure photography or go with the C8SGT with its EQ mount. The latter being more affordable.

Thank you for allowing me to join your group. I am sure i will learn so much from you all

Regards

Kath

[/]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kath, and welcome to SGL.

I had a look on the David hinds website, and could find the CPC800, but not a C8-SGT, so wasn't able to compare tthe two specs.

German EQ mount, or Fork Mount and wedge, is very much a matter of personal preference really. I've used both, but prefer the simplicity of the Fork Mount. With Celestron SCTs, crossing the merdian can be an issue when imaging, due to primary mirror 'flop', as unlike the Meade that I use, they don't have a primary mirror lock.

An 8" SCT is an excellent 'all rounder', but needs to be used with a Focal Reducer, for the wider field stuff.

At it's native f/10, this is an excellent starting point, for adding a Barlow or Power Mate, for planetary work.

The spec of the CPC800, is quite comprehensive, and is unlikely to dissappoint.

Dave

Thank you everyone for your welcome

Dave thank you for your advice, I had a look at the Mead you have but even the 8" that is a bit out of my pocket.

The Celestron scopes on both mounts are the same, except the CPC800 comes with the GPS and a larger choice of alignment choices. The CPC800 also does look easy to use with the fork mount. My head feels so full of information :)

as i have read so much :p . I think i have decided the a SGT 8" is a good all rounder for me.

Regards

Kath

Hi Kath

Welcome to SGL. It's never too late to get interested in a astronomy.

The CPC800 is an amazing scope with excellent pointing accuracy. I have only used one visually. The SGT uses the same optics. Both scopes would work very well. It just depends if you want the extra gizmos of the CPC.

Mike

Welcome from me too :) Kath. I've got a Nexstar 8GPS - the model before the CPC - and I love it! Its really easy to set up and use in Alt Az mode for viewing and shortish exposures (up to about 45 seconds), very versatile, and with a wedge makes for a great scope for astrophotography.

Helen

PS if you can get a Nexstar 8GPS secondhand or in bargain basement they are a superb buy (the word on the street is that the CPC was designed to be cheaper to build because Celestron could no longer build the GPS series for the price)

Thank you to you all so much for the kind welcome.

Now just to make up my mind which scope, though I think I am edgeing towards the CPC 800. I will give myself a few days to be sure.

Thank you Helen for mentioning you had the Nexstar 8GPS, it is always good to hear from someone who enjoys what they have.

Regards

Kath

Welcome Kath!

I would go the EQ mount - fork mounts, are glorified alt-azimuth mounts, at least, that's my understanding. I've had several people privately recommend an EQ over a fork mounted scope for astrophotography. I'm also a keen photographer, using a 1D Mark IIn and D60 as a backup ;-)

Dave

Thank you Dave and Dave :D

Just when i think i have made my mind up. :hello2:

I will be honest I am looking for ease of use, I find the EQ mount on the Skywatcher 130PM, fiddly. It is probably just me not using it correctly.

Can anyone tell me what the disadvantage is if any using the Wedge with the CPC 800 for Long exposures.

From what Helen says and the manuals I have read the CPC 800 will be fine for short exposures.

Regards

Kath

Welcome. Like you, I'm a newbie, I think a lot of the uneasiness is simply down to a lack of familiarity and experience. Give yourself time and I reckon you'd be right. Well, that's at least my attitude ;-)

From what I understand, and I'm sure some of the more experienced members will correct me if I'm wrong, fork mounts are typically just not as accurate over longer exposures than their EQ bretheren, it's simply the design of the mount.

If I'm wrong, just ignore my post!!!

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you Dave and Dave :D

Just when i think i have made my mind up. :hello2:

I will be honest I am looking for ease of use, I find the EQ mount on the Skywatcher 130PM, fiddly. It is probably just me not using it correctly.

Can anyone tell me what the disadvantage is if any using the Wedge with the CPC 800 for Long exposures.

From what Helen says and the manuals I have read the CPC 800 will be fine for short exposures.

Regards

Kath

Thanks Trudie and James for your welcome

Dave Thanks for your reply, I am still undecided. bit I understand what you say about the EQ mount.

There are a couple of extras on the CPC800 that I like that are not on the C8 SCT mount, plus i like the portability of the CPC,

These old bones are finding it harder now to carry as much as I used to.

Also there is the new EQ mount the Celestron have brought out, but there does not seem to be a price available for it yet.

Decisions :hello2:

Regards

Kath

Archived