sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Pelican Nebula (IC 5070) in Bi-Colour

Hi guys

More Mono testing¬†ūüėÄ

I was able to nab a small amount of Oiii last week to add to the small amount of Ha i'd already captured the week before. I should be getting my very own Atik383l+ in the very near future (yay!), but for now i am still exploring the virtues of Mono imaging using the Qhy9 that Adam @tooth_dr kindly lent me.

I had balance and guiding issues again this time, despite the fact id' spent a lot of time on trying to get it right. I think after 7 years it may finally be time to get the mount serviced. It has quite a lot of stiction, in both Ra and Dec, which is making getting balance an exercise in pot-luck, so i think a trip to DarkFrame for a Hypertune may be on the cards soon. 

After losing half the (already short) Nautical Dark that was available, i finally got the guiding working just in time to get 5 subs, all 20 mins long each. The last sub¬†was actually shot in Civil Dark!¬†ūüė¨¬†

So in total this is just 100 mins Ha and 100 mins Oiii using 20 min subs (all 2" Baader filters) using a SW 80ED. Stacked in APP and processed in PS with Starnet used for star removal. Combined as OHO due to the lack of any Sii. 

I tend to like my NB fairly colourful, so this may on the 'over-processed' side of things, especially due to the low amount of data. I'm still learning the ropes of mono imaging so always interested in hearing feedback.

CS and stay safe folks.

1761877114_PelicanHSTimagev1.thumb.jpg.ed4538121a031c2c193688e1547f77df.jpg

• Like 13
51 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

You've done very well given the conditions. Lovely colour 

Thanks Richard. I wanted to go for the electric blue that you often see with this target, which meant having to dial back the Ha a lot, whilst also stretching the Oiii quite hard before combining them.

Normally I wouldn't have bothered processing such a small amount of data, but there's a very real possibility we might lose Nautical Dark now before the next clear night. I'm excited to try a proper deep stack on this now come the Autumn.

52 minutes ago, stevewanstall said:

I like the way you have handled the stars. It is something I need to really look at. I have tried imaging this but have ended up with stupendous stars spoiling it ! 

Thanks Steven.

It's funny you should say that, as i actually wasn't really that happy with the stars. I think i may have accidentally sharpened them somewhere along the way. The good thing about this target though, is that it is most often portrayed Oiii-heavy, so you can dial the Ha way down, which reduces your star sizes. But you will need to remove the stars from the Oiii in order to stretch it sufficiently.

I really need to look into trying Deconvolution now that i'm doing Mono. I'm going to give the versions in Siril and Images Plus a whirl at some point.

56 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I’ll definitely need a few more tips off you lol. That’s a really great job for a slowish scope and only 200 minutes of data. 

Thanks Adam!

I have been trialling the Topaz Denoise AI plugin. I need to evaluate it some more, but early indications are very promising. I used it on this and it did an amazing job of cleaning up the noise without creating the usual smeared look that traditional NR routines do. I'm still working out how best to use it, so more work needed. I definitely recommend downloading the 30 day free trial.

I'll post up a rough workflow for what i did later tonight. I'll also show how the Oiii evolved from Raw to Processed.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Very nice, can just make out jets from Herbig-Haro 555. 

Thanks! Yes I can just about make them out. I'm hoping to capture a lot more (and better quality)  subs of this come Autumn time. Will be interesting to see how resolved they will be at just 2.2" but with more exposure time. 

As luck would have it, the skies unexpectedly cleared tonight, so i am currently in the process of shooting 5 x 1200s of Sii subs. This is the Sii filter's first light, so i'm looking forward to re-processing this with the full Hubble Palette. 

In the meantime, i thought i'd share a gif showing just how much i had to stretch the Oiii to bring it to the fore in the image above. I first took a basic DDP stretch and removed the stars with Starnett, then ran Topaz Denoise AI, and then finally did some Curve adjustments. Even though the data had been through the ringer, i was surprised just how much detail was left over. I only used it for creating the colour map, none of it went into the Lum. I think when i come to do a full re-process, i will try and include a small amount of the Oiii and Sii with the Ha when creating the master Lum layer. 

Pelican_Nebula_Oiii.thumb.gif.779d7206555d65232fefe9b66fe42c3b.gif

• Like 2

Had a bit of a re-think and decided this was too garish, plus i think i processed the Ha Lum layer too aggressively, so i had another go and dialed back the contrast and colour a fair bit, and re-worked the Ha to tease out some more fine detail. 

Too tired to add in the Sii tonight. Will hopefully get to that in the next couple of days. 

It feels good to be doing NB again. My last NB¬†data was from Nov 2018!¬†ūü§¶‚Äć‚ôāÔłŹ

666312258_PelicanHSTv2.thumb.jpg.287e2582dda4ecb5d8aa32f2ac4340b7.jpg

Edited by Xiga
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

Looks like you could swim in it. Big improvement 

Thanks Richard¬†ūüĎ欆This was my first NB image in some time, and i really should have heeded the¬†sage advice i i once heard you mention.......rather than post late at night,¬†leave it¬†to the next day before finalising¬†and posting. It's amazing how often you clearly see things you couldn't the night before!¬†

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Corpze
      Hi, I just published a video of how I am cleaning my filters - I thought I might do this while my telescope is back at service due to some kind of astigmatism.
      How do you guys clean your filters? it seems that every dust particle finds it way to the filters just as you are done cleaning them, and to sit in a damp bathroom seems kind of a mess...

Anyway, here is the video
      / Daniel

• By alexbb
      I've been less active lately in this hobby, but I've a few images done, others waiting in the pipeline to be processed.
      This is a "crowded" area of our Milky Way galaxy, visible all summer from the northern hemisphere. The Cygnus constellation is home of many named and nameless nebulae.
      Starting from the left (North), below the brightest star, Deneb, the Pelican and the North America Nebulae are very popular; going to right, just below the brightest star close to the center of the image, Sadr, lies the Gamma Cygni Nebula. A bit towards the top-right there's the Crescent Nebula and going forward top-right, there's the Tulip Nebula. Finally, at the bottom-right corner, the Veil Nebula, a super nova remnant.
      All these are surrounded by shiny gaseous filaments or dusty patches blocking the light.
      I started this during the pandemic lockdown. All of the data was captured from my hometown from a balcony brightly lit by a sodium street lamp, but the narrowband filters did their job well, blocking successfully the sodium emission.
      A total of 23 hours is made of 2x3 panels composed in a larger mosaic, each panel consisting in about 1h of exposure for the red Hydrogen and 3h of exposure for the cyan Oxigen, all through a Sigma 105 macro stopped at F/4, ASI1600MMC with 6nm Astronomik filters.
      I'm planning to shoot RGB data too and make an RGB/HOO composition.
      Cheers and clear skies!

astrobin link: https://www.astrobin.com/r22yre/
      flickr link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/170274755@N05/49939128338/

• By RolandKol
      Recently I decided to open up my wallet widely and go Narrowband...
      And before my set up comes, I decided to check how to process NB images.
      Plus,
      The last half a year was mostly cloudy so I started playing around with Hubble TelescopeRaw Images
      If someone will decide to kill some cloudy evenings in the same manner, 
      Hubble Telescope raw images are freely available on Hubble Legacy Archive https://hla.stsci.edu
      And please also share your results on this forum.
      My first pancake below - "Pilar of Creation" (part of it)   combined in Pixinsight.
      (M16-P1 - [Used Images: hst_10393_13_acs_wfc_f658n_sci  &  f502n_sci])
      P.S. Raw  Hubble Images are sooooo ugly... I was very, VERY pessimistic about my experiment initially

• By Xiga
      Hey guys
      I shot my 1st full Bi-Colour NB image back in October/November of 2017. It was the Elephant Trunk Nebula, and at the time i remember having a hard time processing it to my own satisfaction. 
      Fast-forward 5 months and, well the weather is bloomin awful, lol, and the nights are now short, so i thought i would re-visit this in the hope i could do better now that i have a bit more PP experience under the belt. 
      The main differences this time (apart from rotating the image to frame it differently) are, RGB combination was done in APP rather than PS. The OIII signal was also given an x2 multiplier to help boost it (this meant i didn't have to give it a big manual stretch in PS). No HLVG has been done at all this time, as i now prefer to leave the Green in, as i think it adds more depth to an image, as long as it's not excessive. This has made a big difference i feel, as from memory i think i really went to town on removing the Green in the original version, and subsequently everything came out brown as a result. I also went with a smaller stretch overall compared to last time, although i did up the Vibrance quite a bit in the new version (i couldn't help myself). Overall though, compared to the original the new version has had a LOT less processing done to it. Whether that shows (or even helps) i'm not completely sure. 
      Still not 100% sure it's the best version of itself it can be, but overall i am much happier with the result. I actually didn't do any sharpening at all in this one, so i could possibly do something there. 
      C&C most welcome please. Have i gone overboard on anything? I had a hard time getting the overall brightness to a level i was happy with. When i thought i had it right, i looked at it the next day at work and on my phone and it looked way too dark, so i ended up cranking it up several notches as a result. 
      7 x 600s and 14 x 900s of Ha
      17 x 900s of OIII
      (just shy of 9 hrs in total).
      50 Bias and 30 Flats
      Combined as SHO. The SII was synthesized from a blend of 30% Ha and 70% OIII. 
      Taken with the usual gear: Nikon D5300a and SW 80ED scope on a HEQ5 Pro mount. 
      Captured with SGPro, pre-processed with APP and post-processed with PS.
      Here's a link to the original thread:
      And the latest version:

• By Jessun
      Hi SGL members!
      As I'm moving to 2" filters I wish to sell my 1.25" mounted filter setup.
      This setup consist of a kit of Baader LRGB as seen here for example:
      https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p563_Baader-LRGB-CCD-Filtersatz-1-25----Interferenzfilter---4-Filter.html  @268 Euros
      plus the piece de resistance, the Astrodon 3nm ones; Ha, SII, OIII.
      New they are 608 Euros a pop.... Example:
      https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5153_Astrodon-1-25--Narrowband-Filter-H-Alpha-3nm-mounted.html
      I will part with the LRGB set for £150 and the Astrodons for £450 each of £1200 for the lot of three. That is effectively most of the haggling done already.
      These filters rendered me six AAPODs in one year alone, and that was with mediocre OTAs and substandard processing skills...
      I can accept PayPal, UK or French, UK or European Bank transfer, I can ship from the UK or France, no problem as I tend to go back and fourth. Let's say £7.50 per filter shipping cost for insurance purposes. They will also be available for pickup in London shortly.
      The filters have never been cleaned or wiped. They have lived in Atik Filter wheels as long as I had them.
      Below: LRGB set to the left, Astrodons to the right.
      /Jesper
      PS There might be an ATIK EFW2 up for grabs too once these are gone ;-)

√ó
√ó

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.