Narrowband

M57

Stardaze

Had a great night last night hopping around some old favourites of these last couple of months, as well as finding a few new ones. Armed with new 11mm & 6.8mm EP's I was surprised to find the 6.8 so bright with M13 and M5 which filled the eyepiece perfectly - the level of detail was something I've not seen previously (the 16mm Barlowed was poor in comparison) and blew me away. Anyway, whilst viewing M57 I resolved the star close next to it for the first time at x186. I've tried to find it listed, but nothing on Stellarium or my apps? I note further away a multitude of stars around 10 mag but this one is clearly less than those. Can anyone shed light on what it is and it's brightness value? It will be the largest in the attached, SE corner.  

I tried to find the owl nebula and M61 last night, but failed miserably. Though I did find a few more in Virgo and really need to explore here earlier in the evening first. M51 resolved well at x115 and Epsilon Lyrae filled the frame at x186. Had me thinking that the next EP will be the 8.8mm, giving me x144, and will fit in the gap there. 

Screenshot 2020-05-29 at 09.20.54.png

• Like 3

The star you mention is mag 12.9 and is a good test of both your optics and the sky conditions as you’ll only see it a relatively high magnification.

• Thanks 1

Here is a chart of M57 and the surrounding stars:

m57stars.png.a1fb6e9384fa7029d439f8c8bd9b97ce.png

The Owl Nebula responds well to a UHC or even better, an O-III filter. They help this object "pop" out of the background sky appreciably.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hals said:

The star you mention is mag 12.9 and is a good test of both your optics and the sky conditions as you’ll only see it a relatively high magnification.

Perfect, thanks for that. I need a decent atlas!

4 hours ago, John said:

Here is a chart of M57 and the surrounding stars:

m57stars.png.a1fb6e9384fa7029d439f8c8bd9b97ce.png

The Owl Nebula responds well to a UHC or even better, an O-III filter. They help this object "pop" out of the background sky appreciably.

Thanks John. It’s next on the list, probably next month now.