Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M81 & NGC3077

russ

Hi all,

I managed a shortish session out last night. Could have been longer but we were out early evening so i couldn't get out until 9pm. And the clouds rolled in around 11pm. Typical, not cloud all day but night rolls in and so do the clouds.

That said, the sky pretty was nice for those 2 hours. Give it a 7/10 say.

Because of bubbling clouds on the horizon i scrubbed my original plan of some NGC galaxies around Leo and instead went for good old M81 (again). This time with a difference. Rather than pairing M81 with M82, this time i would get it with NGC3077. A mag 10.8 galactic companion to M81.

Couldn't get any detail in 3077, would to use a greater focal length and longer exposures, plus autoguide the mount.

This image was the combination of 34 stacked images, each a 1 min exposure @ 800iso. It's the most detail i've managed with M81. My only regret now is not using the focal reducer to make it a triplet of galaxies with M82. Always next time.

image.jpg

Regards

I think you made the right choice with M81 (in pairing with the NGC instead of M82). When you try to get a good result with M81 and 82 together you always burn out M82 trying to get the arm detail in M81.

Excellent shot mate, love it!

Could you not join this and your previous good M82 shot together and produce a mosaic? That would look cool!

Ant

Ant, that's good idea about stitching two together. Will give it ago a bit later.

Gordon, the usual setup. Orion USA ED100, EQ6 Skyscan and Canon EOS 10D. No filters this time. Software used was ImagesPlus 2.10A for stacking and Photoshop CS2 editing.

Many regards

Russ

Archived