SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Attaching an LXD-75 to a pier

tooth_dr

Right folks

What's the best way to attach the mount to a circular concrete pier?

I need some pointers as to the type of mounting plate required to attach an LXD-75 EQ mount to a concrete pier. I can get virtually anything made from scratch by a friend of my Dad's but I cannot decide on the best way to attach the scope to the mounting plate and in turn to the concrete pier. The solutions I've come up with seem over complicated. It is likely that this mount will be replaced with an EQ6 in the future so that must be taken into consideration too (this probably just means making up a new mounting plate).

Any links or suggestions would be appreciated as we're just finishing digging out the foundations today and expect the shed to be in a week or so.

Thanks

Adam

If you do a search of the DIY section there's a few pier projects knocking about.

Here's some pictures from my own project.

piermount.jpg

The 3 long bolts with the knobbly bits on are set in the concrete while its still wet

piermount1.jpg

This just another view pre concreting

piermount2.jpg

And set in the wet mix, the wooden block provides support and spacing needed under the plate for adjustments etc, this is removed when the concrete has set.

piermount3.jpg

piermount4.jpg

The finished mount with the fixing plate removed, the plate can be modified to take any mount.

fp_2.jpg

Hope these images give you some ideas :)

Superb George

Many thanks and exactly what I wanted to see! In terms of North alignement, did you just set the plate into the wet concrete and get it approx north, then let the screws on themount take care of the final minor adjustment?

Superb George

Many thanks and exactly what I wanted to see! In terms of North alignement, did you just set the plate into the wet concrete and get it approx north, then let the screws on themount take care of the final minor adjustment?

Its set exactly at celestial north using the suns shadow at midday using a calendar at this site to get an exact time for my site.

http://www.solar-noon.com/

Archived