Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Moon

Wow, First time I've seen the Moon through a telescope and what a sight. We had a good look at the Moon last night. It was also a chance to play around with the different eyepieces and what a difference that made. The red dot pointer was spot on after I found the little cardboard trick on you tube. Only using the 6SE in manual mode at the moment. Hopefully the cables for the firmware updates will be here today and the sky will be clear tonight. I fear that tonight will be cloudy, seems to be building up now, even looks like we may have a little rain. Looking at the moon was a little bit emotional. I am so happy we have the telescope.  One question someone may be able to help with, is there a way to make the focusing on the Celestron 6SE a little less coarse.. It's almost like we need some kind of fine focus. Don't get me wrong, the focus is great , it's just a little bit sensitive, It's almost as if it needed something with a larger circumference.

We were looking at the moon with mouths wide open in awe of the beauty of something ordinarily we take for granted. I think we are hooked into astronomy, although there is so much to learn, at least now we have the time. We are finding that we now have the urge to take pictures, and also record our observing. Do people just use notebooks for observing notes or is there some kind of  correct way of doing things

Thanks for all the words of encouragement

D

• Like 7

Wonderful.

I remember my first look at The Moon, but with Binoculars with my late Dad, it was a very long time ago,
but I remember the day with fondness and as if it were only yesterday.

I still observe The Moon to this day as often as I can and it still fills me with awe.
So glad you have now seen The Moon.
I wish you a long and enjoyable journey observing, it changes each day, each cycle and just give.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kluson said:

It's almost as if it needed something with a larger circumference.

I don't know what sort of focusser you have, but I had the same issue.   I discovered my telescope focusser knobs were removeable via grub screws.  Now I live with a nearly tame engineer and on being given a lump of aluminium he produced me this upgraded wheel.  Mind you I understand that you achieve something similar with a jam-pot lid and a tube of Araldite.  FWIW it did work for me.

IMG_4112a.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kluson said:

is there a way to make the focusing on the Celestron 6SE a little less coarse..

I'm sure some people use an ordinary clothes peg pegged onto the focuser knob. Put it at right angles to the knob when your close to focus then use the peg as a lever, the longer the better.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sky-searcher said:

7DB3FBC8-544B-4ACD-A35A-29E924C1DCDA.jpeg.59933d41f86ee0f0620945c73b30e38d.jpeg

I recently used a outside tap adapter to make a larger dial for my MAK127. Does make focusing easier. Cheap and easy mod.

That looks great. You would think some bright person with a 3D printer would make something. I've fitted the clothes peg works great, but a little ugly. If someone was to make a little anodised piece, which fitted over the rubber, like a little handle , I'm sure it would sell.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Kluson said:

That looks great. You would think some bright person with a 3D printer would make something. I've fitted the clothes peg works great, but a little ugly. If someone was to make a little anodised piece, which fitted over the rubber, like a little handle , I'm sure it would sell.

Probably would 😂 like a bit of bling 

• Like 1