sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

SynScan V3 Connection Issues

Hi,

I have been attempting to update my SynScan V3 Hand Controller from V3.08 to latest version. Handset bootloader is V1.7.

Unfortunately I just get the message “Can not connect to SynScan hand control”. I have looked at numerous forums and tried everything that has been suggested (including older versions of firmware installer), but getting nowhere.

I am using a Skywatcher SynScan USB Adapter (purchased from Bristol Cameras) and installed the driver from the Skywatcher website. The adapter shows in the COM ports and says it is working properly.

I have tried different computers (Win10 and XP) with no joy.

Can anyone help, or is there anyone in North Aberdeenshire that has successfully updated their handset willing to give mine a go (once travel restrictions, etc ease)?

Thanks

Neil,

I updated my Synscan from V3 to V3.27 (that was good enough for me)

I use a Keyspan Serial> USB adaptor to allow the original SW Upgrade cable to be used with my laptop.

Connecting this to the hand controller and providing a 12V power supply to the hand controller allowed the Upgrade to go through.

Don't know what could be the issue with your set-up........

Hi,

Thanks for feedback.

@Merlin66 - unfortunately purchased secondhand and no cable came with it. I did purchase one through FLO a couple of years ago, but could never get it to work either. Only realised a couple of weeks ago that the cable connector to the hand control unit was 4 pin RJ11 and not the required 6 pin RJ12. Thought that was why it wouldn’t work previously so thought I would try the USB adapter as it has the correct connections and I had a printer cable for the USB to USB-C.

Ron - yes, did have power supply connected and pressed 0 & 8 during power up. Also tried the different data settings (normal, Med and Lo) but still can’t get the laptop to ‘see’ the HC unit.

out of ideas at the moment, but would consider posting the hand control unit to someone if they would be willing to try!

21 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The serial data cable should be RJ11 6p6c

Ok, I’ll need to have another look at the one I got from FLO this weekend as it was specified as the correct one when I bought it. Thanks.

On 28/05/2020 at 15:52, Cornelius Varley said:

The serial data cable should be RJ11 6p6c

Having spent some of my working life designing telecomms equipment, I realise that the Registered Jack "RJ" connector series is a complete minefield. In theory, it should only be used, as defined by Bell Systems, but in the real world, it is used to define connector body size and the number of connector pins fitted in that body.

From my understanding, and a quick check on the web, "RJ11" is usually used for 6P4C, and "RJ12" is the same plastic body but 6P6C.

The "RS232" (another data standard, but modified, often heavily in terms of voltage range and circuit impedance, by the computer industry) cable supplied with my Skymax and Skyliner Synscan V3 handsets, has an "RJ12" 6P6C connector, and a 3-way cable [ RED - pin2, BLACK - pin3, WHITE - pin5], terminated by a moulded 9-way "D" female connector with connections:-

RJ12         9-way D

2         -       2

3         -       5

5         -       3

Geoff

3 hours ago, Merlin66 said:

Neil,

aounds like you may have a EQDir cable, which is used by EQMod to communicate directly to the mount.

The cable you need is different.......

Hi Merlin66, I’ll check back on what I ordered as it is possible I didn’t appreciate at the time the different mount types and cable requirements. Why I hoped the USB adapter would solve my connection issues. Will persevere and hopefully get there some day. Thanks.

Edited by NeilDMunro

36 minutes ago, Geoff Lister said:

Having spent some of my working life designing telecomms equipment, I realise that the Registered Jack "RJ" connector series is a complete minefield. In theory, it should only be used, as defined by Bell Systems, but in the real world, it is used to define connector body size and the number of connector pins fitted in that body.

From my understanding, and a quick check on the web, "RJ11" is usually used for 6P4C, and "RJ12" is the same plastic body but 6P6C.

The "RS232" (another data standard, but modified, often heavily in terms of voltage range and circuit impedance, by the computer industry) cable supplied with my Skymax and Skyliner Synscan V3 handsets, has an "RJ12" 6P6C connector, and a 3-way cable [ RED - pin2, BLACK - pin3, WHITE - pin5], terminated by a moulded 9-way "D" female connector with connections:-

RJ12         9-way D

2         -       2

3         -       5

5         -       3

Geoff

Hi Geoff, being more of a mechie the cabling side is a bit of a minefield for me. I’ll have a closer look at the old cable I bought and see if I can tell how it is wired up. Cheers.

1 hour ago, NeilDMunro said:

I’ll have a closer look at the old cable I bought and see if I can tell how it is wired up.

A Google of "RS12 pinout" and "RS232" should give you a good idea of pin locations within the connector bodies, particularly to identify "Pin 1" on the RJ12.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By NorthernAstro
      Hello there,
      My synscan V3 handset is having issues in the goto settings, for example, it may be over 10 degrees out in azimuth and a few degrees out by altitude. For troubleshooting purposes and to save you from asking unnecessary questions, I have tried different locations and made comparisons, I have also tested multiple different targets. My location, date and time are also correct and to make sure, I have tried different variables to see if there is a difference but there is not, the handset is still out. I should also let you know that the difference between the real value and H.C. Value is not fixed and does vary. Help would be greatly appreciated as this has really puzzled me. I have updated the firmware and went to older versions - same issue. I have searched for this topic on the likes of YouTube and other forums and cannot find some information. Fingers crossed one of you can help me with this. 
      Thank you,
      Cai
    • By fifeskies
      It was my intention to fit a Rowan Belt upgrade kit to this mount but I have now purchased the EQ6-R model with the belt drive already built in, so this mount is ready to find a new home.

Mount is in very good condition having been kept indoors and was my main mount so got used often rather than sitting around unused.
      Synscan Goto system handset, polarscope fitted to the mount.
      The current model, with the new green trim is on FLO.
      Sky-Watcher NEQ6 PRO Go-To Astronomy Mount | First Light Optics    
      £1239 new       
      For sale at £795  (new price less 38%)

The mount head is the newer version that takes both the narrow Vixen and the wider Losmandy style bar. 
      The Skywatcher matched tripod has the larger 2 inch legs which gives better stability.  However I tended to use the mount on my fixed garden pier rather than the tripod.
      The original poorly designed altitude adjustment bolts have been upgraded for far superior ones, (original bolts also included).

A free 13.8V DC power supply will be included at this price which gives better stability than the compact mains power brick (mains power brick is also included).
      Collection only as too heavy to freight, I can look into delivery for the cost of petrol within a 1 hour drive from Fife.

I used it with a range of Refractor and Newtonian telescopes.
      It handles heavy scopes very well and is rated up to 25Kg for visual and 18Kg for astrophotography.
      I have not pushed it to the upper limits but have imaged with a dual refractor rig on it at 14Kg.
      For visual the largest I used was a 10inch carbon fibre Newtonian, which came in at 18kg with finder and Telrad attached.
      Mount comes with the standard 2x 5.1kg counterweights and the counterweight extension bar for high loads. A few minor paint flecks on the edge of the counterweights, (does anyone have counterweights without a few paint flecks?).
      The mount has been used for astrophotography with an astromodified D600 Canon DSLR. Some examples of the results are attached so you can see just how good the tracking is on this mount.
       I used APT software with PHD2 guiding using an adapter cable from FLO, cable not included.

With good polar alignment (I use Sharpcap) I was able to run exposure subs of 480 seconds (8 mins), so have been able to image some nice DSO targets.

The attached images taken using this mount show stacked subs with minimal processing.

I am happy to have anyone thinking of buying the mount drop by so I can demonstrate the system up and running for them.
       (COVID precautions taken).

This is a heavy mount so bear that in mind if you are considering purchase, 23.5 kg for the mount/tripod without the 2 x 5.1kg counterweights. (33.7Kg with).
      Not so much “grab and go” more “hug and stagger”.
      OK for a few metres out to garden but you will need to break it down for any longer move.

• By fifeskies
      This is a handy accessory that plugs into the Synscan handset (before you power on). As the mount initialises it reads the GPS from the “mouse” so you do not need to enter the position manually. It also adds date and time for you.
      Very useful if you use several observing sites.
      Once read the GPS mouse can be unplugged and used for another mount (very handy for star parties).
      Works with Sky-Watcher SynScan V3/4/5 Synscan handsets 
      (requires V3.32 firmware or later)
      Current V3 firmware is 3.39 , Current V4/V5 firmware is 4.39
      You can update firmware for the Synscan handset from the Skywatcher support site to ensure compatibility is you are still on older version firmware.

Sensor uses GPS to automatically locate and input the users position (Latitude/Longitude) to the handset.            
      Note not suitable for use with a PC. 
      As my mount is now in a fixed position on my garden pier I have no use of this little gadget, since I have a fixed Lat/Long, so I am offering it for sale to someone who can make better use of it.
      On FLO and listed at £119
      https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-gps-mouse.html
      For sale at  £70 (a discount of 41% from list price)
      + £4.95 recorded delivery  

Free collection from Fife with COVID precautions.

I had this working on my EQ6-R, (the first photo above shows it on the EQ6-R handset.)
      It should be compatible with many other Skywatcher mounts but check before you buy.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/user/manuals/sky-watcher_gps_mouse_manual.pdf

Has a magnetic base, but there is now a Velcro pad as a more secure fix which reduces the magnetic effect, will still cling onto my metal pier but slides on a rounded tripod leg. 
      Apart from the Velcro pad the mouse is in as new condition
      Either peel off the Velcro pad, or better still get a matching Velcro pad to stick onto the position you plan to keep it (pads available Amazon or eBay). 
      Though in fact you can remove the mouse once GPS position has been read and pack it away.

• By tompato
      So I have had these Skywatcher Slow Motion Cables for all of 5 minutes and after the damn thing fell off the a second time in as many minutes I tightened it better and the screw sheared off. Fantastic. Any ideas? Drill it out I guess? Send angry correspondence to Skywatcher.
      Its now stuck to my Scopetech Mount Zero.

• By Maideneer
      For the life of me, I cannot figure this out.  Got to take out my setup last night for only the second time as it's been cloudy for weeks and I've been trying in vain to align my Skywatcher AZ-GTi mount to no avail.  I'm using it in ALT-AZ mode for now, and I've probably researched every article and watched every Youtube vid I could find and still nothing is working...I feel like I'm stupidly dense or something because there is something just not clicking in the cranium.
      I thought I was supposed to point the dang thing north to start so that's what I did, err, I think anyway.  Am I pointing the wrong end north? See picture.  Also, I'm reading that the actual scope has to be mounted a certain way on the mount correct?  Which way would that be?  I've read all of this left/right stuff and those directionals mean nothing to me as it depends on someone's viewpoint.  When I aimed north to start, I attempted to align by directing SynScan to go to the Moon first, and that took it so far off course it wasn't even close, it was basically pointing at the ground.  I reset and tried again with another start (Vega I believe)...again, wasn't even in the realm of close.  I made sure my location settings were correct in the app so that wasn't the issue.
      Here's how I got something to "work".  I had it track to the moon and when it was essentially pointing at the ground and who knows how many degrees from my actual target, I picked the whole thing up, turned it around, manually aligned to the moon and then clicked OK on the app.  I felt like a ridiculous clown doing that but somehow it actually managed to do the trick but something tells me that isn't right on a long term basis.
      I'm thinking about getting SkySafari to control the mount but I should probably master the basics first.
      Tips/tricks appreciated.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.