Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How much weight can an EQ-2 carry

Pledies

If you can achieve balance, it will be fine, you don't have any motors to burn out. Getting balance may be the problem and you may need to do some DIY counterbalance work. But yes, just get the scope.

• Like 1

No load capacity for the EQ-2 is quoted, but the load capacity for the more substantial EQ3-2 is given as 5Kg.  So you figure it out...  It appears that a telescope weighting 4.54Kg will be at best on the limit for the Eq-2.  The practical result will depend to some degree on whether the telescope is long (traditional refractor) or compact (Maksutov). In any case, for a "good telescope" you might consider a mount upgrade worthwhile.

22 hours ago, Pledies said:

Hi, 

I was wondering how much can an EQ-2 mount carry because have found a good telescope and i wieghts 4.54Kg but i am wondering if my mount can hold that much weight, 

Lucas

By any chance is that a Celestron C6 you are looking to buy?  The C6 tube weighs 4.54kg...  We have the C6 XLT and use it mainly on the HEQ5 or ZA4 but occasionally on the dual drive EQ3/2. Because the Celestron is so short and stubby it actually works okay on the EQ3/2. Takes a few secs to settle down but useable. Imaging would be out of the question but visual okay. I use this as a lightweight setup to take down to my nephew and niece. Saves lugging the HEQ5.

Because the counterweight bar is long on the EQ3/2 we have had absolutely no problem balancing the C6 using the two supplied weights.

Edited by russ

The tube length is critical as well as it's weight.

A light but long scope will overpower a mount even if it is well within the load limit.

For a while Celestron used to supply the C5 SCT on the EQ-2 mount as an option.

If it is the C6 OTA that is contemplated, it looks that you can get it with a Astro-fi mount or SLT mount for the same price.  If that's correct, you are getting a free (but wobbly) GoTo mount worth around £250.

I used to mount my 're-modded' ETX105 or C6/SCT-XLT on a small EQ mount; then sold it. It was OK, but I would not overload it.

Then came along the Vixen GP; (which I have also sold); which was about twice the size, just over twice the weight. Better in terms of build quality, reduced vibrations, etc., I could also mount both 'scopes side-by-side', (though balancing is critical for smooth manual operation); and not possible with the smaller EQ.

I now use an AOK-AYO or Tele-Optic Giro alt-az mount as shown below...

IMG_0580.thumb.JPG.fc6f227bf7e974dd59c6c96ea3f25fe2.JPG

• Like 1