SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

MAY 26TH - A SLENDER VENUS - 2.3%, 56 ARCSECONDS -

paulastro

Cloud and the Sun lighting up nearby haze which made the visual field very bright meant I didn't manage to find Venus until 8.49 pm.  I have to admit it's more difficult than using a goto or having a GEM where you can 'dial in' the position on the setting circles which would have been much easier.  Also Venus was only just over 12 degrees from the Sun so care has to be taken when sweeping.  It was then promptly covered by cloud, but I managed to pick it up again at 9.08 pm and observe it until it set below my local horizon at 9.25 pm.

I did manage to get some good views in this time using the SW 80ED up to x225  despite the low altitude.  It looked really dramatic, and it's hard to imagine being able to see a much thinner crescent ( 2.3% ).  The horns of the crescent seemed to curl round the edge of the invisible disk for some distance.  At 56 arcseconds it was an awesome sight as it disappeared into the trees.   I'll give it another go today weather permitting, but as it's a degree lower every successive day this may not be possible.  No complaints though, it has been a very memorable apparition.

Below is a screen grab taken at the time on my phone using SkySafari Pro which is a good representation of how it actually looked - minus the information of course! 

1140612065_SkySafari6Pro2bright.thumb.jpg.92cbbe63881ac4313ec17ddb0284fd83.jpg

• Like 2

Agree that groping around looking for Venus when it's so close to the Sun
can be a risky undertaking. However, success favours the brave, and you have a lovely outcome here.
The Image in this setting is a splendid achievement. You must have persevered to get this.
Well done.👍
Ron.