Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Skyliner 300p

Im looking to possibly buy a skywatcher flextube dob..Manual version  not goto.

Either the 250p or 300p.

Anyone experienced using any of these range of scopes?

Any advise at all would  be great

Regards paul

I have the manual 250p Flextube. I really enjoy it for visual astronomy.

The flextube makes it very manageable to me (can put it upright in the back seat strapped in with a seatbelt),
and while I do feel the need to collimate it each time I take it out, a laser collimator makes it really fast and easy (2-4min).

Slewing can take a little bit of getting used to.
For example, when the scope is aimed at a low angle, if I move it up a bit and let go, there is a little bit of downwards movements until it fully settles after a sec, so I usually move it just a little bit higher than needed. Small stuff like that.

I also took some really cool images with it (and a DSLR)
Here's Saturn (stacked videos of Saturn drifting in the FOV) and a collage of a lunar eclipse (single shots).

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to give my opinions.

All the best!

Edited by soundwave

well i purchased a 300p second hand for £475 2 days ago

One thing id like to know is can the azimuth be adjusted using the nut on the baseplate to give a little bit of friction as i find if i just touch the eyepiece with my face when observing it moves slightly

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, djpaul said:

One thing id like to know is can the azimuth be adjusted using the nut on the baseplate to give a little bit of friction as i find if i just touch the eyepiece with my face when observing it moves slightly

Morning Paul.

I have a 200p, assuming the base is identical on the 300p which I believe it is. You can tighten the main bolt to increase the the tension of the az bearing.

Baz

Cheers Baz

I thought that was the answer

It would be nice if i could find something as a quick release to replace the nut.

but i will adjust it just a little to make it slightly tighter and see how i get on

1 hour ago, djpaul said:

Congrats! That's a great buy ;)

I had a 250p and that scope gave a huge amount of joy - a 300p will give even more!

Clear skies,

-Niall