Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for someone to 3D print a part

AstroTim

I have found a design on Thingiverse for a red dot finder bracket https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2989735

Unfortunately I don’t have a 3D printer myself, but wondered whether there is anyone on here who might be able to print one for me? I would be happy to cover the cost of materials, postage, and time.

The design is in OpenCAD format. I don’t know much about the different filament types (although I was thinking PETG as it seems quite durable) so would be interested in any recommendations.

Regards,

Tim

I'll print it for you, but first a few questions:

1: Is it a Swarovski scope you have or some other make ? as the wrong dimensions would make the resultant print un-worksble...

2: Do you want it printed as a 'one' piece or the 'three' piece, for you to glue together ?

3: Do you have preference for colour ?

4: I would probably print it in PLA, is that ok ?

FYI, the OpenScad file will enable easier modifications if required ?

Hi Julian,

Thankyou for offering to print this for me.

1) it is for a Swarovski scope, and as far as I can tell should fit the model that I have, although ultimately I won’t know until I try it. The whole thing is a bit of an experiment to see if I can get away with using the spotting scope as an occasional astronomy scope, as I don’t possess a refractor. I find it very difficult to locate DSO’s or specific stars in the scope due to the angled eyepiece position and fixed magnification, hence trying to add a finder.

2) I assume (unless it’s hollow) that the one piece print should result in a stronger end product.

3) Black would be my preferred colour

4) I suggested PETG as from the brief 5 minute search I did, it looked to be stronger than PLA, and a bit more durable for outdoor use, but I have no experience with either material. Are there advantages to using PLA instead?

Regards,

Tim

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to @Dr_Ju_ju for printing the part for me.

The bracket fits securely onto the spotting scope in place of the original sighting tube. I’ve managed to fix a Celestron red dot finder onto it for now. It doesn’t attach quite as well to the bracket as I’d like, but that should be solvable.

At least now i’ll be able to find the objects I’m hoping to observe. I’ve no idea how this scope would compare to a similar aperture and length telescope. Maybe the optics are designed more for daylight observing, although presumably the same would be true for binoculars. Anyway, it should help fill the void until I have the budget for a decent travel refractor.

Tim

E5C53800-5EE6-4946-95A0-95BDA8FBB56E.jpeg

07FE800C-626E-45B4-937F-003B541FD7F0.jpeg

• Like 1