Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CCTV Type camera

Hi,

I'm setting up my imaging rig at the bottom of my garden and I'm thinking about setting up a CCTV type camera to give me an overview of my telescope/mount etc.

I'm thinking of setting this up so I can see my telescope etc on my laptop instead of running out of the house every 10mins to check everything is working properly.

I have a few spare USB 3.0 ports on my powered hub and I was thinking of using one of these.

Has anyone done something similar to this and if so what type of camera did you use.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Only reason I'm looking into it is due to the fact that I've had a coupe of near misses with my equipment  and software going mental so I thought there may be a way to keep my eye on my equipment from the warmth of my house.

I don't know how people can set everything up, leave it then go to bed, I wouldn't sleep.

I've seen a few Bullet type weather proof CCTV cameras that I may look into as they cost less than £30.00 and I don't need anything fancy.

Doug

you'd need to be careful on placement so the IR from a CCTV doesn't upset your imaging, even with an IR filter if the beam hits the lens it'll create a flare. Also consider the cheap CCTV tend to talk out to a server on the web that you connect to, they aren't the most secure things and you'll rarely (never even) see firmware updates to fix weaknesses.

A simple Jennov POE (3MP) is a remarkably good bit of kit for merely £35.90 (it's an Amazon "Choice"). The joy is that being POE one cable carries both power and data.  The unit itself is tiny.

However, the issue you need to consider with any CCTV camera is data storage. It will soon fill up a hard drive if continuously recording (say) a 28 day cycle. Ideally, you need a network video recorder (about £100). 

11 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

A simple Jennov POE (3MP) is a remarkably good bit of kit for merely £35.90 (it's an Amazon "Choice"). The joy is that being POE one cable carries both power and data.  The unit itself is tiny.

However, the issue you need to consider with any CCTV camera is data storage. It will soon fill up a hard drive if continuously recording (say) a 28 day cycle. Ideally, you need a network video recorder (about £100). 

Thanks,

Ill have a look

Doug

Edited by Doug64

Hi

So I assume you're already monitoring the guiding and imaging apps over vnc or TeamViewer but that's not sufficient?

Are you thinking of adding live view of the hardware too?

Cheers

Edited by alacant