Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount balancing

avodcap7

So I had this problem where if I put my finder scope on my OTA, and the finder scope is around 135 degrees from the mounting part of the scope. This made my DEC axis always stay leveled but never stay in any position I put it in (if I turned my RA axis to the balancing position, then the DEC axis to balancing position and moved the DEC axis anywhere, it would go back to horizontal or balancing position).

Any help would be nice

Emlis

1 hour ago, jambouk said:

What is the scope, what is the mount? Can you attach a video or a picture to show the problem?

The mount is a HEQ-5 Pro, the scope is a celestron C8 which came with the AZ mount.

Sending a video, so you can see what is the problem.

The tube is slightly front heavy I believe, which is causing the DEC axis to become unbalanced.

Loosen the two bolts that grip the dovetail and move the tube backwards a small amount and tighten the bolts again. Keep testing the balance after each nudge and leave it once it’s balanced.

Edited by JoshHopk
Typo

It doesn't seem overly unbalanced in either direction; if this was my set up I'd use it like this. If you are encountering problems then re-assess, but it isn't repeatedly overly front heavy, or rear heavy.

James

• Like 1

I had some similar problems, if your finder scope is not directly above the main scope when the scope is on the meridian with weights vertical.  The DEC balance will change when you swap sides. The finder acts like a pendulum on one side but on the other it makes it overbalance (difficult to explain!)

Geoff