Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with Firmware update

Hi everyone

I have a Nexstar 6SE. It has not been used for 8 years. I have a StarSense for it fitted. The version of the firmware installed is 01.07.13311. I would like to update the firmware. I have found the CFM software and installed it onto my Mac. I am unsure as to what cables i now need to go from the mac to the handset. The handset socket is looking like a phone connector. the mac has usbc and usb2 ports.  what cable should I buy to go between them and update the firmware. The camera has a usb  connector on it so I will try to connect and update that firmware too. I guess there is also firmware updates for the rest of the 6SE. Can anyone offer any guidance to solve that problem too.  Really appreciate your help

Thanks very much

Dave

Which firmware do you want to update? Despite its age, the mount firmware is unlikely to need updating for any reason. That leaves the Starsense firmware (since you have dispensed with the original Nexstar handset.)  If this is not up to date, it is probably a good idea to update it, as there have been issues with the Starsense.  People tend to assume that they 'have' to update firmware, or that updating it will cure some unrelated problem, but I always advise people not to fool with firmware unless the update is going to address some specific issue detailed in the version notes for the upgrade.  Updating can be a lot of work, and things can go wrong...

Instructions for the update should be available from Celestron or nexstarside.com.  I don't know if it works from a Mac as I have only used Windows 7 for firmware upgades.

You will need cabling with a serial to USB converter to connect the Mac to the Starsense handset, and software driver for the serial-to-USB device.

Do not try updating the Starsense camera firmware or plugging anything directly into the camera,  otherwise you may end up bricking it. I have not heard anything about the camera needing an update, and if it does, this may happen via the handset.

Is the 6SE/Starsense combination working properly? If it is, consider leaving well alone.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2020 at 10:19, Cosmic Geoff said:

Which firmware do you want to update? Despite its age, the mount firmware is unlikely to need updating for any reason. That leaves the Starsense firmware (since you have dispensed with the original Nexstar handset.)  If this is not up to date, it is probably a good idea to update it, as there have been issues with the Starsense.  People tend to assume that they 'have' to update firmware, or that updating it will cure some unrelated problem, but I always advise people not to fool with firmware unless the update is going to address some specific issue detailed in the version notes for the upgrade.  Updating can be a lot of work, and things can go wrong...

Instructions for the update should be available from Celestron or nexstarside.com.  I don't know if it works from a Mac as I have only used Windows 7 for firmware upgades.

You will need cabling with a serial to USB converter to connect the Mac to the Starsense handset, and software driver for the serial-to-USB device.

Do not try updating the Starsense camera firmware or plugging anything directly into the camera,  otherwise you may end up bricking it. I have not heard anything about the camera needing an update, and if it does, this may happen via the handset.

Is the 6SE/Starsense combination working properly? If it is, consider leaving well alone.

Hi Geoff

I ordered the cables which are on their way. We haven't used the Starsense yet as we didn't have the screws. The ones in the telescope were too short. I contacted David Hinds who told me that the screws were M4x12. I had some of those in stainless so I was able to fit the starsense this afternoon. I read elsewhere that the screws were 8-32 1/2inch. Certainly the M4's fit and didn't cross thread. I didn't overtighten them . I'll try to set it up this evening. The firmware I have is 01.07-13311. I'll do the firmware update when the cables arrive and just follow the instructions. I downloaded the Celestron Firmware Manager.

Thanks again

6 hours ago, Kluson said:

Hi Geoff

I ordered the cables which are on their way. We haven't used the Starsense yet as we didn't have the screws. The ones in the telescope were too short. I contacted David Hinds who told me that the screws were M4x12. I had some of those in stainless so I was able to fit the starsense this afternoon. I read elsewhere that the screws were 8-32 1/2inch. Certainly the M4's fit and didn't cross thread. I didn't overtighten them . I'll try to set it up this evening. The firmware I have is 01.07-13311. I'll do the firmware update when the cables arrive and just follow the instructions. I downloaded the Celestron Firmware Manager.

Thanks again

if you haven't seen it, you can find a full history of Celestron firmware updates here: Firmware History

• Like 1