SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mis Sold item

21 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

When I went to pay with PayPal I put £50 In but it changed it to $58+ USD he refunded that then said pay by bank transfer, I am sure he manovered it this way so I would have no redress. 

It was not bought on SGL I have never had any problems buying items from here. 

I would agree why else would the seller refund the full amount, he would get the full £50 from Paypal into his account the same day so he would loose nothing apart from you having some protection. Although if like many of us do you ay as family and friends to get around any fees to Payal then there is no protection with Payal either.

Apart from my sympathy, which is of no use to yo at all in this situation, I cannot help much. Having similar experiences in the past I would just say try not to get too mad and enraged about it. Unfortunately, whilst it is infuriating, it is only yourself that suffers further. Also small claims, onbudsman, solicitor approach is really not worth the hassle, in my opinion, and again only serves to upset you more, and the outcome would probably not be changed.

I certainly hope any future buys have a much better outcome.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Hello @wookie1965

Yes the seller on UKastrobuysell did describe it as an EQ6 tripod but the photos he sent you may show it’s not so sadly it’s a case of caveat emptor.

Perhaps this seller should be avoided in the future.

The price you paid was reasonable and you should be able to sell it as an EQ5 tripod at the same price you paid and then just chalk it down to experience.

Good luck and clear skies.

Edited by dweller25
  • Thanks 1

Polar pin? lol

I noticed I have the Celestron advanced vx tripod next to the NEQ6 tripod..Heres the image I just took.

Can you see this?

NEQ5.jpg

Edited by Star101
corrected description

You are not alone  - I've  bought EQ6 tripod without AZ pin - sawn off - 2" for £60 few weeks back. I wanted make sure it is 2". as i wanted for my AZEq5. As i was rushing - i've paid as a /;; Family through PayPal and that was it!!! 

When arrived it was 1.75" - when i've confronted the seller he said that it is not his fault as to his knowledge it is 2" !!!!!hahaha i couldn't stop laughing!!!! what a ***** - so now another tripod in the garage as when i looked into SCC it was too much for me to .. :( 

I dont want to sound bad but now, if the seller is not responding it will be difficult to make him to give you any refund. Always register as :" paid for goods  transaction with PayPal" - never friends and family!!! If you are selling - include the 3.5% in your price!

If you've paid $50 by PP - there will be - his ID/Nam or address online somewhere .... always is, once you get his address you can go for SCC.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Yes working now what's this called, I call it the North peg but must have a proper name. 

I've always referred to it as the azimuth dowel pin.

It's a shame that there are people out there who are prepared to do this.  I agree with others, short of knocking on his door and suggesting he refund you in full, in that a small claim is the only route, with the claim registration notification often being enough to prompt refund as he will probably want to avoid court.

Best of luck with getting a full refund.

• Thanks 1

Seems to be quite a high volume advertiser on AB&S assuming I've identified the seller correctly.  I'd have thought if they'd not sent parts that they'd clearly suggested were part of the deal by including them in photos then they'd be more interested in protecting their reputation and sorting it out.  And at least then you'd be able to sell it on as a complete item.

James

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Seems to be quite a high volume advertiser on AB&S assuming I've identified the seller correctly.  I'd have thought if they'd not sent parts that they'd clearly suggested were part of the deal by including them in photos then they'd be more interested in protecting their reputation and sorting it out.  And at least then you'd be able to sell it on as a complete item.

James

Yes James got quite a few items for sale been a member since 2014 pity there is no way to get him kicked off the platform for mins-selling items. 

Edited by wookie1965

3 minutes ago, Gorr_77 said:

You are not alone  - I've  bought EQ6 tripod without AZ pin - sawn off - 2" for £60 few weeks back. I wanted make sure it is 2". as i wanted for my AZEq5. As i was rushing - i've paid as a /;; Family through PayPal and that was it!!! 

When arrived it was 1.75" - when i've confronted the seller he said that it is not his fault as to his knowledge it is 2" !!!!!hahaha i couldn't stop laughing!!!! what a ***** - so now another tripod in the garage as when i looked into SCC it was too much for me to .. :( 

I dont want to sound bad but now, if the seller is not responding it will be difficult to make him to give you any refund. Always register as :" paid for goods  transaction with PayPal" - never friends and family!!! If you are selling - include the 3.5% in your price!

If you've paid $50 by PP - there will be - his ID/Nam or address online somewhere .... always is, once you get his address you can go for SCC.

You are right about paying with friends and family as you have no redress, If I am buying I always add the fees to the cost and pay using payment for goods.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

Yes James got quite a few items for sale been a member since 2014 pity there is no way to get him kicked off the platform for mins-selling items. 

Contact Paul at ABS and let him know what happened as he takes a dim view of fraud and should be able to kick him off ABS.

• Like 2

Just now, johninderby said:

Contact Paul at ABS and let him know what happened as he takes a dim view of fraud and should be able to kick him off ABS.

I have sent a message to sales@astrobuysell... Hoping he reads it. 

• Like 1

I reckon he may have used it with an EQ6 which would explain the additional 3 holes in the head, which I assume have been drilled in there.

If you look at the original add on ABS you can report the ad, which may be worth doing also as it will directly link to the specific ad.

I'm always cautious of ads which don't have pictures and don't even look at ones without.  I wonder if he's done that deliberately as someone could report it and say that isn't an EQ6 tripod.

Fingers crossed you get your money back and he gets barred.

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

Sorry to see this, yes you have got bits missing etc.
You can post on the site where you bought it about being mis-sold.

But to be honest, sell it on accurately as you would and move on.
Step back, look at the big picture at the minute, is it a big thing?
Deep breath time I think.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

When I went to pay with PayPal I put £50 In but it changed it to $58+ USD he refunded that then said pay by bank transfer, I am sure he manovered it this way so I would have no redress. 

Did you agree to pay via Paypal before sending payment? Unless I know and trust the person I would always pay via Paypal (with fees) to ensure I had protection in the event that something goes wrong, and when I sell I always expect to pay fees to give the buyer those same rights. The moment that the money was refunded and the seller insisted on bank transfer you should have walked away.

If there is an advert on ABS with no public photos for everyone to see, or they won't pay via Paypal, then I assume they are being dishonest. It may not always be the case, but resizing photos so that they can be uploaded to ABS and setting up a Paypal account so that things can be paid for safely are easy things to do, and the absolute minimum that someone wanting to sell an item should be prepared to do.

Given that the ABS seller started off by advertising the tripod with a Celestron wedge, it should have been quite obvious to them that the tripod they had might also be a Celestron tripod, rather than an EQ6, and they have no excuse for not refunding the money.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

If it's any consolation,  I buy quite a lot of stuff from ukabs and now I'll remember the guys name and avoid him in the future! 

I have checked on ABS and he has a few items for sale which includes his full name, I will be aware of him in future.

• Like 1

Yes there are some fraudulent attempts and sales going on Astrobuyandsell unfortunately and you start to wounder who is genuine once bitten twice shy so to speak.there is an advert listed at moment just raises my suspicions and the sixth sense kind of kicks in however it could be genuine.the seller has up for sale a celestron carbon fibre 8” sct cassagrain on a nextstar evolution WiFi mount and tripod with a few accessories also for a whacking price of £2350 well above the preowned market price.and reason for sale he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s !?.maybe it’s me being over suspicious but definitely brings up a red flag as myself personally I wouldn’t broadcast something of that on a preowned site as is of personal nature.and even tho I messaged the seller about just querying the price never heard anything back.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, John said:

Someone might be interested in it just for the legs - I think they are inter-changable with HEQ5 / EQ6 hubs.

was almost thinking that myself, since one of my EQ5 has the 1.5-inch legs and the other the box-section type, hmmm

Just a gentle reminder not to use SGL for resolving these disputes publicly. We do not want this turning into some form of witch hunt, and the seller has no right of reply. I think Paul has had enough guidance now so I will lock the thread. Thank you.

• Like 1

• Stu locked this topic
22 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

was almost thinking that myself, since one of my EQ5 has the 1.5-inch legs and the other the box-section type, hmmm

I was thinking that someone might want to replace their current 2 inch legs that have been damaged / got rusty. I don't think the 2 inch legs will fit onto a hub that previously had smaller diameter legs fitted ?

• Thanks 1