Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M100

Rodd

I wanted to collect Ha for this one but time ran out--the galaxy hit the treeline leaving only about an hour of imaging.   Maybe next year.  I was only able to capture 22 green subs.  It will be rainy for a week, then the Moon will come and I am afraid that's it for M100 for me.  I think I eked by with the green I have.  22 subs is almost 2 hours.  I was shooting for 4 for each of RGB.  Seeing was unusually good during this shoot.

TOA 130 with ASI 1600 and Astrodon series DE true balance filters

Red: 42 300 sec sec

Green: 22 300 sec

Blue 49 300 sec

Lum: 96 300 sec

This is the first attempt--binned in software 2x2

Image05eBin3.thumb.jpg.39f5975af34a4ad08142363d2509d5de.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 17

You captured amazing details in the galaxy all the way into the core, and a lot of dust. If I should comment on something it is the dust, which looks a bit odd to me - kind of thick and homogenous grey - I sometimes get that if a part of a curve is a bit too flat or inverted during stretching. I compared it to my Esprit 150 version where the dust looks lighter. However, I then noticed that my core is burnt out compared to yours so maybe I should have another look at my processing of that image:

https://www.astrobin.com/399792/G/

EDIT: Thanks to you Rodd, I now tamed my core (version H) by reprocessing it from start.

Edited by gorann

Superb image, colours are well balanced and the core is good, not over blown.

One trick in Pixinsight to tame cores is to fix points in curves and just tweak the upper brightness level.

4 hours ago, gorann said:

You captured amazing details in the galaxy all the way into the core, and a lot of dust. If I should comment on something it is the dust, which looks a bit odd to me - kind of thick and homogenous grey - I sometimes get that if a part of a curve is a bit too flat or inverted during stretching. I compared it to my Esprit 150 version where the dust looks lighter. However, I then noticed that my core is burnt out compared to yours so maybe I should have another look at my processing of that image:

https://www.astrobin.com/399792/G/

EDIT: Thanks to you Rodd, I now tamed my core (version H) by reprocessing it from start.

Thanks Goran.  With respect to the dust, I have probably pushed the data further than I should have--I really need to add quite a bit of data to this image to be able to lift the outer regions as much as I have......if one does not look too carefully, it squeeks by.  I just thought portraying M100 without the delicate (or clay like i) outer glow, would be a shame.  This brings me to a point that really drives me crazy....the masters all look really good, even the Green, even the outer dust.  But when I combine them, its almost like they fight against one another.  

4 hours ago, gorann said:

Bde careful, Goran.   Its a long and slippery slope.  Before you know it you will be working version DA for images you havent touched in years!

Nice image BTW.    

2 hours ago, MarkAR said:

Superb image, colours are well balanced and the core is good, not over blown.

One trick in Pixinsight to tame cores is to fix points in curves and just tweak the upper brightness level.

Thanks Mark.  Yes, that is a technique I have been playing with.  I find it somewhat tricky.  At times PI seems to be a scalpel--razor sharp--able to execute very fine changes.  The problem is with motor dexterity (The mouse and keyboard).  Kind of like a surgeon using that scalpel but having to wear boxing gloves, or not being allowed to bend the arm at the wrist, or having to work while looking at a mirror image (or all three at once!!!).  

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Goran.  With respect to the dust, I have probably pushed the data further than I should have--I really need to add quite a bit of data to this image to be able to lift the outer regions as much as I have......if one does not look too carefully, it squeeks by.  I just thought portraying M100 without the delicate (or clay like i) outer glow, would be a shame.  This brings me to a point that really drives me crazy....the masters all look really good, even the Green, even the outer dust.  But when I combine them, its almost like they fight against one another.  

Bde careful, Goran.   Its a long and slippery slope.  Before you know it you will be working version DA for images you havent touched in years!

Nice image BTW.    

Just posted version I of mine - I thought it looked a bit dark and gloomy compared to yours, so I brightened it up a bit😎

28 minutes ago, gorann said:

Just posted version I of mine - I thought it looked a bit dark and gloomy compared to yours, so I brightened it up a bit😎

I think it looks good.  Its amazing how slight changes can really instill an image with ....."it"

6 hours ago, gorann said:

I sometimes get that if a part of a curve is a bit too flat or inverted during stretching

Well Goran....the tiger has been prodded to wakefulness.  He is still sleepy though, so lets hope this is it.  A bit more details in the disc and less roughness. around the perimeter

Image05fbin3.thumb.jpg.0e52bb33c3c0b6c58c9c548976689f6e.jpg  

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 1

Excellent, much better dust Rodd! No more patchy mud floating around in the sky:hello2: I like the way your M100 sreally shines.

PS. Maybe you should crop away that star halo protruding in from the right side.

Edited by gorann

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Excellent, much better dust Rodd! No more patchy mud floating around in the sky:hello2: I like the way your M100 sreally shines.

PS. Maybe you should crop away that star halo protruding in from the right side.

Thanks Goran--yeah, I probably should.  I'll leave that as the very final step.....I'll hold off for as few days just to make sure!

12 hours ago, gorann said:

Here is the star cropped out and an unbinned image.  I think the unbinned version is definitely sharper and a better image at normal viewing, but I o not like full resolution.  I wish there was a say to retain the unbinned look, but restrict the size for full resolution viewing.  Oh well....maybe people won't pixel peep!

Unbinned3-alt.thumb.jpg.de69bb547f4f7689b0afb031e34e4391.jpg

• Like 2