Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus Mercury conjunction

More open sky than clouds there Jeremy. I had the opposite here !

It was a lovely sight when I did get some views though and it sounds like you enjoyed the spectacle as well :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

Very like my experience. Very strong winds in SW Ireland, no chance of a scope, I used the bins. Clouds suddenly disappeared around 2130 and about 2200 I remembered the occasion whilst cooking. So clear through the bins, Venus an obvious fingernail and Mercury bright to the left, memorable.

M

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John said:

More open sky than clouds there Jeremy. I had the opposite here !

It was a lovely sight when I did get some views though and it sounds like you enjoyed the spectacle as well :icon_biggrin:

Glad you got to see it John. Extremely windy though. Was just opening obsy and a sudden gust nearly took the door out of my hands. Decided it just wasn’t worth the risk. I’ve had to lock myself in the obsy on previous windy occasions, but with @Stu’S unfortunate incident from today etched on my mind I decided that discretion was required.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

Very like my experience. Very strong winds in SW Ireland, no chance of a scope, I used the bins. Clouds suddenly disappeared around 2130 and about 2200 I remembered the occasion whilst cooking. So clear through the bins, Venus an obvious fingernail and Mercury bright to the left, memorable.

M

Agreed about the obvious crescent, even in my 8 x 42 hand held bins.

Managed to see it with my 2 ‘fracs mounted on my Skytee2 mount, so kept pretty steady even during the strongest gusts of wind. Thankfully, clouds didn't spoil the show much, so got a good close up of Mercury in my Omni 120 with 2x Barlow and 5mm ep, and a nicer widefield view with my AA Ascent 80ed with 17mm ep which managed to show both Venus and Mercury in the same fov. 

• Like 4

Nice picture @JeremyS, you have caught Mercury nicely there. Pretty clear skies you had; like the others I was looking at a bank of cloud most of the time, but did catch them in the scope for about 5 mins.

• Thanks 1

I got a good  naked eye view on Sunday night (24/5), although Mercury was barely visible until Venus was practically lost in the horizon glow.  It was a lovely combination with the 2 day moon.  Venus's crescent was unmissable in 10x42 bins and a great sight in my TV76.  I guess the skies over London have benefitted from the lockdown, and improved visibility.  Being to the east of the city, anything other than the brightest object is normally barely visible in the western sky.

I will post some iphone pics when I have transferred them.

• Like 1