Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Ah Ok, quite a way from me then.

Have you got the wifi gti or just thinking about getting one.

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

Ah Ok, quite a way from me then.

Have you got the wifi gti or just thinking about getting one.

Hi East Lancs!

I've got a SkyWatcher 250PX; I'm finding it a bit bulky so I'm quite keen to get something to "grab and go".

So quite interested in other technologies/different telescopes available out there.

How do you find your SW GTi 127 compared to your XT10i?

10 hours ago, doubledoubleswifty said:

If the power runs out - is it possible to manually push/pull the telescope? 

Absolutely. It has encoders built into it. This means that you can align it, then release the clutches, star hop, then reengage the clutches and it keeps its alignment. This is if it is powered up. If you lose power or don't want to power it up you can just manually star hop with it. 

1 hour ago, doubledoubleswifty said:

Hi East Lancs!

I've got a SkyWatcher 250PX; I'm finding it a bit bulky so I'm quite keen to get something to "grab and go".

So quite interested in other technologies/different telescopes available out there.

How do you find your SW GTi 127 compared to your XT10i?

Well the mount is getting loads of use. I added a EQ wedge to it and have been doing video astronomy with it.  Also using it for HA solar.

Regarding the 127 mak, I have just made a solar white light mask for it and intend trying it out on monday when the sun returns.  It is brilliant for double stars, planetary and clusters and it's performance is disproportionately good compared to it's size.

I did though originally get a 102 SW mak, that got sold  and bought a celestron 127 SLT for it instead. 

Quick overview. The mount is simple to use, the tripod is useable but a little unsteady. I do mean a little, it's perfectly serviceable. although a 127 mak is on it's limit weight wise.

I think the mount is brilliant overall. It can be up and running in a couple of minutes. Alignment is a cinch. It is accurate and tracks very well.

I give the whole package 9/10, the mount itself 10/10. (It's the tripod where I drop it 1)

Steve

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ryan Adams
      Hi there,
      I recently posted a thread getting ideas for what scope and mount I should get for beginner astrophotography.
      After researching on my own and getting thoughts from others on scopes and mounts here is what I have come up with.
      Mount - Skywatcher EQ5 GOTO
      Scope - Sky-Satcher Explorer 130P-DS
      Guide Scope - Skywatcher Evoguide ED50
      Guide Camera - ZWO ASI120MM Mini
      DSLR - Canon 350D
      I understand that the camera I am using is fairly old but it is an old DSLR that I have at home and it saves me money on buying a new camera. All in all this setup comes to just over £1000; I just wanted to people's get thoughts on this set up and if it can be improved in any way without stretching the budget by more than £100. Also I wanted to know whether any of the equipment I have chosen isn't great.
      Thanks in advance,
      Ryan
    • By Ryan Adams
      Hi there,
      I am relatively new to astronomy, as well as this forum so I'm sorry if anything seems obvious that I don't pick up on. However after using a very basic set up to capture some photos of the moon I wanted to invest in some astrophotography equipment.
      Ideally I am looking to spend around £800 - £900, and I wanted some ideas on good mounts as well as scopes that can be used to take decent images of the moon along with other celestial bodies in the solar system. 
      I have been looking at the Celestron Nexstar 6SE as well as the sky watcher explorer/evostar series attached to a EQ-5 Pro GOTO Mount but as I said I am relatively new to the hobby and have no idea what's good and what's bad. 
      I would also prefer it if the mount is suitable for deep sky astrophotography along with planetary imaging as once I get the hang of planetary imaging I would like to take a stab at deep sky astrophotography.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Ryan
    • By JMH
      Good morning and thank you in advance for your advice and patience! I am looking to purchase my first telescope, budget around £200. I am overwhelmed by the choice, but am looking for certain things:
      Quite lightweight / easily portable
      Smartphone adapter for taking iPhone pictures
      Specifically interested in looking at planets, ISS, galaxies as well as the moon
      Must be on a tripod and not table-top
      I would be grateful for your expertise. I am in the UK (Suffolk) if that makes a difference! I look forward to learning A LOT here  
    • By DonnieMarco
      It has been torture trying to arrive at a solution where I can use my DSLR with both 16-35mm and 70-200mm with a ZWO mini guide scope and colour camera for guiding. I finally arrived at the solution below that balances perfectly. I think it will take some care to properly align the lens with guide cam but do the more experienced users think this could work?

just waiting on my ZWO ASIAIR Pro now to get it working. 

• By Kluson
      Wow, First time I've seen the Moon through a telescope and what a sight. We had a good look at the Moon last night. It was also a chance to play around with the different eyepieces and what a difference that made. The red dot pointer was spot on after I found the little cardboard trick on you tube. Only using the 6SE in manual mode at the moment. Hopefully the cables for the firmware updates will be here today and the sky will be clear tonight. I fear that tonight will be cloudy, seems to be building up now, even looks like we may have a little rain. Looking at the moon was a little bit emotional. I am so happy we have the telescope.  One question someone may be able to help with, is there a way to make the focusing on the Celestron 6SE a little less coarse.. It's almost like we need some kind of fine focus. Don't get me wrong, the focus is great , it's just a little bit sensitive, It's almost as if it needed something with a larger circumference.
      We were looking at the moon with mouths wide open in awe of the beauty of something ordinarily we take for granted. I think we are hooked into astronomy, although there is so much to learn, at least now we have the time. We are finding that we now have the urge to take pictures, and also record our observing. Do people just use notebooks for observing notes or is there some kind of  correct way of doing things
       Thanks for all the words of encouragement
      D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.