SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Oh heck, that is not going to polish out! 😱😞

Stu

I wasn’t expecting the strong winds today so got completely caught out, having left my lovely dob in the garden under its cover and being very tied up onΒ video calls, and not paying attention to what was going on outside.

Bit (lot!) of a disaster really, although thankfully the optics, focuser and finders are all ok. Not sure if the tube will round out again, with perhaps a new top rim from OO?

First time in 20 years I’ve sustained something quite this bad, such a shame as it is a lovely scope that had been performing beautifully 😞😞

7A0892C4-75D4-4650-96CA-81D5C4729963.jpeg

8D26C50D-4CFB-4CD0-8745-8DF8A78D2349.jpeg

C6EFA3FD-660C-4866-858B-8A1AD9FB8AA1.jpeg

6E6CCD43-BE32-481C-8156-775ABE70E741.jpeg

09CBACDE-EFBE-4208-8E55-41D6FE4DDB55.jpeg

• Sad 33

Ohh carp!.. so sorry Stu. I'm sure that overwhelming sick stomach over came you. Are both mirror's ok?, could they + focuser be transferred to a new tube.

Gutted for you.. really am.

Rob

Yikes.....

Looks likeΒ  a Dali-esque sculpture.....

What size is the Dob ??Β  Β I have an old CN-8 (F5) tube with ...errr .... slightly less damage if you want it ??

IMG_2000.thumb.JPG.99abed5a9d726cc0acf5f1c9ca7a9d12.JPG

Sean.

• Haha 1

Oh No!

I reckon the tube itself may well be OK, the spider can be bent bacl straightish and should be OK again under tension. The tube end might be a little more difficult, perhaps this or something like it:Β https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p5213_Aluminium-tube-end-ring-for-230mm-OTA-diameter.html

Good luck...

Magnus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

you should be able to pull it to round again so long as the OTA is still straight of course., tho work gently and gradually. The spider vane should be able to straighten ok. Even the rim might come right but you'd need to remove it to do that. As Terry says, strip the OT and rim and see of a body ship or metalworker could sort it if you don't fancy trying it yourself. You'll likely need to redo the black matt inside but the outer paint layer may not need anything.

Heck you might even be able to use it as-is tho your collimation will be way out right now ;)Β 

Edited by DaveL59
  • Thanks 1

Oh hell Stu, that's really horrible, a sickener if ever there was one and a warning to us all.

As others have said, a car body repair shop might be able to help, plus they will (Or should!) have the skills to do an "invisible" mend, plus drop an email to John at OOUK, see if he can supply a new end ring. and spider if the originals are beyond repair.

Make for some interesting diffraction spikes!Β 
I once helped a friend sort out reattaching theΒ encoders on his 20” dob when it β€œwent windsock”, though afterΒ the scope owner had themselves been sorted out!Β 
Glad the glass bits are still in one piece.

Β 

Peter

• Thanks 1

Oh, that's really not good :(Β  Looks like it hit something quite hard.Β  I agree that it should be quite repairable, though assuming you can get one, buying a new end ring might be the path of least resistance rather than trying to "straighten" that one out.

I think you're going to need to check your collimation mind.

James

• Haha 6

I'd have thought if you remove the secondary and spider and then the front ring trim piece then you should be able to draw the tube back out to shape. Perhaps remove the primary too just in case. It doesn't seem to have kinked and the squish hasn't gone beyond the seam and it may well relax a bit once the trim ring has been removed.

• Thanks 1

The wind caught many of us by surprise today.Β  Β  Β I had earmarked today to give my fish pond a good clean out. If had been somewhat neglected, and the algae was getting out of hand control. The wind was making a damned nuisance of itself, and making a difficult job even moreso.

However, that compares not one Iota to the sad event that has befallen you Stu.Β  Even though the Optics escaped harm, it is still a heartache seeing that lovely instrument's body grotesquely twisted like that.Β  Must have endured a hefty clout. The Optics really deserve a new overcoat matey, Get a new tube if there is one to be had.Β  Β  Sorry for your loss.

Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to see that, what a shame. It was really windy out there today. I was working earlier and saw out of the window a big (but empty!) plastic paddling pool float down into my garden!!! We still haven't worked out where it blew in from, I'm glad I wasn't out there doing solar.

Ouch !!!

So sorry that this happened Stu. Hopefully you will either be able to get the tube, tube shaped again or at least move the mirrors, cells etc into another tube.

The secondary vane should straighten I should think.

Not sure about the tube though.

Β