SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello and thanks

IB20

Hello all!

Just a quick hi and thanks as my 8” skywatcher dob turned up on Monday. I chose to purchase this on the back of information I got from this site from FLO (who seem great btw). It is big but I’m very happy I picked this over the 6” (footprint probably not much bigger mind!). 

Incredibly easy to set up and I’ve used it both Monday and last night in ok viewing conditions.

In two short nights, I’ve seen so many double stars, variable stars, open clusters, 3 globular clusters and a planetary nebula (something I have never seen before, despite having an interest in astronomy for a long time). 

My only problem now is that I used to navigate by high mag stars with my old scope and binos but it’s difficult now as I can see too many. 😂 I’ve already bought an upgrade to the lenses too, again info that I got from this site so yes this is where all my covid refund money is going right now!

Cheers again! 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the community, glad you are enjoying yourself, the 200p is a good scope for the money, you will get many years of observing sessions with it.

Keep enjoying yourself while the weather is good.

Clear Sky's

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

Just a couple of hits with respect to your new Dob

Did you get flex or solid tube, as flex much easier to store and transport

As the base is on chip board construction, use a water proof ground sheet under the base, to prevent moisture damage

Secondly, if did not come with the Dob when you purchased,  get a right angle finderscope

So much easier to use, then trying to lay on the ground, trying to spot what is overhead

Have attached pic of my 10" flex, with a 8'' in background, is also a flex Dob with shroud fitted taken a club public viewing day last year

John

Skywatcher 10in Dob.jpg

On 23/05/2020 at 02:21, cletrac1922 said:

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

Just a couple of hits with respect to your new Dob

Did you get flex or solid tube, as flex much easier to store and transport

As the base is on chip board construction, use a water proof ground sheet under the base, to prevent moisture damage

Secondly, if did not come with the Dob when you purchased,  get a right angle finderscope

So much easier to use, then trying to lay on the ground, trying to spot what is overhead

Have attached pic of my 10" flex, with a 8'' in background, is also a flex Dob with shroud fitted taken a club public viewing day last year

John

Skywatcher 10in Dob.jpg

Thank you! I have the solid tube and luckily the wife agreed (with bribes) to me keeping it in a cupboard. The ground sheet is a great idea and yes, the 90° spotting scope is on the "to purchase" list, but I have been impressed by the straight spotting scope, much better than my naff 10x50 binos and may even use it as a monocular when I get a replacement. I'm kinda wondering if I could have pushed it to the 10" now... 

­