Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Back to basics - my ultimate system...

7 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Watching :grin:

Still thinking Mewlon?

Yes, but I am shifting towards AZ EQ5 for the mount as I might try my hand at sketching and a driven mount would seem to be the thing from the advice I have been given.

I do have some leanings towards a TS 6" or 8" Classical Cas or a  6 or 8" Mak but the optical quality of the Mewlon pulls me back even though the off axis spot size might be bigger, if only it were f15 like the Intes-Micro Alter 715 .  Then again there is the compact omc 140......

Anyway, half the fun is agonising over the choices.

Don't  hold your breath, it may be a while.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, andrew s said:

the optical quality of the Mewlon pulls me back even though the off axis spot size might be bigger, if only it were f15 like the Intes-Micro Alter 715 . 

When dealing with these top optics I'm not so sure some of the specs will be a deal breaker. What will show for sure is a difference in cooling ability and a friend here had an Intes and while a great scope prefers his Mewlon...

Excellent considering the driven mount - the AZ EQ5 should be more manageable than my AZ EQ6, a real beast. I can put a planet in the FOV and comeback way later with it still in there. This mount has upped my observing ability.

Eagerly waiting info on your choice!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Absolutely, Andrew! Agonising over such choices has occupied many a cloudy night for me 🙂

I thought it was just the next size up in Takahashi refractors! Simple. 🤔

I know eyepiece,  tripods mounts, etc. It is often the best bit, which is why I have enjoyed building telescopes and spectrographs as there are more bits to choose and fiddle with.

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, andrew s said:

I thought it was just the next size up in Takahashi refractors! Simple. 🤔

I know eyepiece,  tripods mounts, etc. It is often the best bit, which is why I have enjoyed building telescopes and spectrographs as there are more bits to choose and fiddle with.

Regards Andrew 

I’m sure fiddling has become a hobby in itself. Mrs JeremyS often says “are you going out to fiddle” as I head off to the obsy 🙂

• Haha 1

On 21/05/2020 at 15:53, andrew s said:

What would you choose?

I am getting there, I am working to a 10 year plan (I am currently in year 12 of the plan :iamwithstupid:).

What I have already (from the ground up):

Berlebach Report 112, Berlebach Castor, Celestron C6 with 6.3 reducer/corrector, ST80, Nirvana 16/82, ES 6.7/82, Speer WALER 10/82.

To complete the ideal setup: TS Photoline 80 F7 (to replace the ST80), a few more light 60° eyepieces and a Nirvana 4/82°, a Q Turret (or two!).

• Like 1

The AZ100 is one of those products where initial nervousness over the cost evaporates as soon as you unpack it. The design, quality of engineering, fit and finish is 1st class. The price actually quite quickly seems reasonable as you move it around and get a feel for it. Your previous pride and joys seem a touch rough around the edges all of a sudden :rolleyes2: 

6 minutes ago, John said:

The AZ100 is one of those products where initial nervousness over the cost evaporates as soon as you unpack it. The design, quality of engineering, fit and finish is 1st class. The price actually quite quickly seems reasonable as you move it around and get a feel for it. Your previous pride and joys seem a touch rough around the edges all of a sudden :rolleyes2: 

Thanks, I am sure that I will be pleased with it. My other mount is a Paramount ME II  but it is in Spain so I can't  stroke it any more.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, andrew s said:

.... My other mount is a Paramount ME II .....

Ahhh - forget the bit about "rough around the edges" then. Hopefully the AZ100 will seem of comparable quality :smiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Alan White said:

So you are comfortable with manual tracking in alt az over a driven one Andrew.
What was the decider for you in this purchase?

The aim was in the thread title.  I have a fully automated set up in Castillejar Spain. The aim here was to do some visual astronomy  but avoiding the temptation  to drift into automating, imaging etc. This purchase stops that unless I sell it. I was tempted by a driven Alt AZ mount but resisted. Memories of trials past led to adding the DSC. My eye sight is not good and trying to find say double stars was beyond me in my youth let alone now. Principally it will be the moon and planets. 

Regards Andrew 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, CloudMagnet said:

"Come on, take your silly scope out of here so I can live in the box"

She loves boxes. She even gets in the Ali Baba basket but manages to leave the lid on upside down. 

Regards Andrew 

35 minutes ago, andrew s said:

Here she is looking immaculate.  First light will need FLO to deliver the mount. But, for now I will sit and drool over her.

Looks fantastic Andrew. Congratulations and welcome to the Tak Club!

Does it smell nice?

Also, that tube cover is ripe for posting on the "Show us your dewcap" thread. As I mentioned before, a friend who had a Mewlon 180 used the soft cover as an observing cap whilst he was using the telescope. He did have a small head, though - not that I am suggesting you don't, of course.

🙂

• Like 1